Poole Harbour Osprey Project MAY to end of 2020 season

/JULYLast month's thread.

ALL PICTURES AND VIDEOS: ©PooleHarbourOspreyProject

Beautiful female, Rutland's CJ7:

The hoped-for partner for CJ7, local male LS7, has not yet appeared.  CJ has been tending the nest daily and yesterday she took everyone by surprise, producing an egg - which took us by surprise by surviving... until midnight at least ;)

IMAGICAT

• Unless I can see a really good picture of a tail, or a fluffed-out throat, or if they side-by-side, I just can't do crow/raven.

This one, I thought, must be a raven with a head like that!

But I think it must be the same one as this, they both played with cones - wait for the vocals at the end, they went on 'n on 'n on  Open mouth

IMAGICAT

• Curved down beak says it's a Raven Scyla - also the voice - also I do believe, as one flew I saw briefly the small ''hook'' at the end of the beak. Just listen to the vocabulary ! Family call as opposed to flock call

Thank you Scylla.

Hope you agree Richard ?
  • The second one, ie the one that flew in, is a raven, it was huge compared to the first one, and there is a definite "Honking" call rather than a crow's "caw"
    I think the first one was a Crow.

Richard B

• 03 December

More burning going on!  First wisps of smoke seen @ 08:44 this was 11:00, how many "seats"?

Continued with varying smoke intensity thru the day, this was just before 16:00 - see Whitey unaffected, fires were far off:

That was the point where I logged on and saw I had a problem with another cam which had resulted in 1300+ 1KB files and counting, so I had to stop everything - I'll leave the current stream to complete itself @ 6 hours and see what happened later.

IMAGICAT

• Clip from the land mangement @ 2x speed - and I intend to pin a comment comprising RICHARD's info re the gorse cycle, unless I am forbidden.  I plan to say "provided by a kind member of the RSPB Community", unless he (that's you, Richard Yum ) either would like his name appended or objects to the whole plan...

The plan is because I had indignant comments on the earlier fire vid I uploaded.

IMAGICAT

• Sorry to hear you had comments, Scylla--surely it is not your responsibility that such activity is happening--whether or not people approve of it, or were the indignant comments about some other objection? Back in the Precambrian when I was doing biology, the idea was that there is a natural succession in nature, and environments change over time as various plant communities succeeded one another; this was called ecological succession. Now, I've no idea if that is still a current theory, but I do know that in order to keep heathland from becoming forest that tree seedlings must be removed, so it is likely that there are changes in the gorse growth if left alone as well. While I cannot believe that gorse bushes everywhere in the country are being managed in the manner described by Richard, I do find it totally believable that management of that sort is undertaken in some places by some farmers and at some reserves--that is speculation, of course, on my part, but it does sound logical. Variety in the plant community by keeping some areas open and some bushy will also help lead to variety in the associated animal community, increasing biodiversity. Right, I'll get off my soapbox now--over to the rest of you.

Kind regards, Ann

• The workers traipsed off at about 16:40, leaving simmering fires as before - obviously they have ways of ensuring they don't spread.

IMAGICAT

• They may be counting on the area being very wet from recent rains?

Kind regards, Ann

• ''The plan is because I had indignant comments on the earlier fire vid I uploaded.''

Really? really really? What on earth could have prompted indignation I wonder. Not against yourself I trust Scylla.
    And the environment workers certainly know and understand what they are doing. Thanks again for your efforts Scylla I'm going to have to track back and try to find those comments now, sigh
  • Scylla, I had a trawl around and this morning and found this on the RSPB website.

It is the recommended ways of managing and maintaining Heathland, as is almost identical to the practices of many agencies here in the south.

It is very similar, in fact identical, to what I stated last week.

Here is the link to the article, it is worth a read.  Ignore the Grey Partridge title, someone made a mistake at the RSPB, it is actually land management.223-1316-GREY PARTRIDGE ADV (rspb.org.uk)

Richard B