OSPREY CHAT THREAD APRIL 2020 TO END OF FEB 2021

I think there is a need to still have this thread, so although "not with Tiger's flourish"  have opened it to last 3 months which should be suitable for any useful and interesting snippets, news, links etc.  

LINKS TO ALL THE 2019/END FEB THREADS

SEPTEMBER TO END FEB 2020 THREAD

JULY TO AUGUST THREAD

MAY TO JUNE THREAD

MARCH TO APRIL THREAD

Anyone wanting to explore further back can find ALL threads on Birdie Num Num's excellent LINKS THREAD

Starting off with the link to this excellent Smithsonian Video that was posted on the News from Other Nest thread just in case anyone missed it Smiley

COPYRIGHT SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE 

• I have had a major problem with all my files and folder, but because things are in a pickle I have come across a wonderful post by Sandy, a regular contributor way back in 2009, the year of Rothes, Garten and Mallachie and the arrival of dear Odin the Magnificent.  It brought a tear to my eye.

I am copying and pasting so there is no possibility of a link not working in years to come!  This was the days of the old site, when we didn't have 'likes' to tick!

In reply to Lindybird:

Lindybird said:

15.46 on Thursday, 27th Aug.  Looks like its farewell, Odin.  Safe journey.

I'd just like to add my appreciation of Odin and his part in a magical osprey season at LG by way of a few select highlights.

First of all he wooed EJ, this from Richard's blog on 4th April 2009:

"He arrived yesterday afternoon, 3rd April at about 1.30pm. It is not Henry or VS, but an all new suitor for EJ, an unringed bird, origins unknown.  He's looking good so far. How's this for his first 24 hours - seven sky-dance display flights above the nest to impress EJ, seven matings so far, all deemed to be successful, he's brought her one fish so far at 8am this morning, and he has been bringing in nesting material, sticks and moss etc and he's done some nest scraping too. He's thrilled visitors with some very close approaches to the Osprey Centre building, when making sorties to collect sticks. It looks like this boy means business.  Thankfully, EJ would appear to like the cut of his jib, and has been quite accepting of him at and near the nest. Phew, that's a relief!"

And it wasn't just EJ he impressed, David wrote this on 13th May:

"Now is it just me or is Odin an absolutely beautiful osprey? I spent a lot of this morning watching him as he was taking his turn incubating the eggs and he really is quite stunning. I realise that ospreys in general are rather striking birds but I have to say that Odin seems, to me, to be a rather fine example. I have already been hugely impressed with his fishing exploits but his good looks have just added to the general aura that surrounds him."

Then he overcame adversity, this from Richard on 29th May:

"Chronologically it goes like this, roughly.  Odin as you know was trailing this long length of fishing line.  He returned with a fish at c.8pm last evening and it seemed like he had lost the majority of the line, but not all.  When he flew from the nest after having delivered the fish, the line must have snagged on a nest stick, because he was seen flying away, line still trailing and now a stick attached. Very worrying.

As far as we could see, it did look like the line had indeed gone. But one of his wing feathers was sticking vertically up in the air, still attached but looking like it had been wrenched out of place.  Could he possibly have been strung up over night somewhere, struggling to free himself, hence his very late arrival at the nest and with this feather damage?  We'll never know for sure.  But it could be that Odin had a very close call."

And became the great provider once more, David getting excited on 28th June:

"Super Odin, Odin the Magnificent, Odin the Great, Odin the Fish Dude, Fishy Odin....... OK so maybe not the last one but whatever way you look at it we could not have asked for a better male! He seems intent on breaking every and any record we have, just last night he brought two fish to the nest within 15 minutes of each other, 15 MINUTES!! Here we were all thinking how amazing it was that he had brought in two fish within an hour of each other a couple of times and then he goes and does this!

So including that burst from last night the overall total for the past week is 51 fish, an average of over 7 a day! Quite an achievement when you imagine all he has been through over the past few weeks, no fishing line can stop this osprey. I think the Superman 'S' would quite suit Odin at the moment."

Of course the most important thing that Odin has achieved this year is to father three beautiful, healthy chicks. My personal favourite memory of him is when he brought in a fish shortly after Rothes hatched. EJ got up to take the fish off him revealing the newly hatched Rothes and Odin stared at her with what seemed like a mixture of astonishment and pride!

Now we know that that tiny "bundle of joy" (David's words) is currently in West Africa after completing a near flawless migration and Mallachie is also doing well in Portugal. We won't know Garten's fate for at least two years, but who would bet against her turning up somewhere in 2011 or 2012?

Odin appeared at LG on the afternoon of 3rd April this year. Let's hope that he doesn't keep EJ waiting too long next year!

Odin wasn't one to change his habits, and sure enough arrived on 3 April the following year, 2010, the year the chicks weren't ringed because of the high winds and losing the ringing window.  

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Beatiful, beautiful SHEILA In one way Thank you IN another " What have you done >"Am in tears EJ and Odin were such stunning birds and a magical partnership
  • I've just noticed Roy has a new series of podcasts, one about rebuilding an osprey nest, the other about WTEs.

• Me too Patily. My Darling boy. My heart still aches
  • Oh, Sheila...... what a lovely read, really miss the chemistry between, EJ and Odin, and even more so this year with no LG. such a different world. Thanks for the memories.
  • Does anybody know whether Sacha Dench is able to fulfill her plan to folow the osprey migration in current circumstances
  • Saw this on Weekly Chat by Diane,Thought it may be of interest.

www.facebook.com/.../