LAKE DISTRICT OSPREY PROJECTS – 2020

Continued from 2019 Lake District Osprey Projects

The purpose of this thread is to record all general news of the Lake District Ospreys. 

A separate thread has been set up to record all observations and nest activity at the Foulshaw Moss nest.  Link to "Foulshaw Moss Lake District Nest Observations 2020"

Lake District Osprey Active Nests:  

Bassenthwaite [unringed]

Esthwaite Water  [Blue 7A aka Ozzy & Unringed aka Olive]

Foulshaw Moss NR [White YW & Blue 35]  (separate thread for nest activity)

Roudsea Wood & Mosses NR [White YC and Unringed]

Wishing them all a safe journey home and for a successful season. 

• Reading back about the webcam - yes Mary Foulshaw nest activity was posted on the LPOD thread.

I just started off the thread just as Sheila had last year as we all thought it was a great idea of hers to set up a LDOP thread for all the osprey news from the lakes as prior to that the news was posted on the News from Other Nests thread and a separate thread for Foulshaw Moss nest activity.

But only right to ask if anyone thinks we should have an individual thread for captures/observations of nest activity at Foulshaw Moss.

What does everyone think?
  • Perhaps a separate thread for FM as there is Live Steaming of the nest? Only my thought but will happily go with whatever is decided

• I was going to say that too SANDRA Because of the LS we get more news of what is happening at this nest and another thread "Other Lake District News", perhaps
  • I thought last year FM should have it's own thread but said I would go with the flow. It's difficult as the year before not many watched but last year because of the situation on the nest with the chicks it was very popular and news from other nests got lost. Only my opinion but think maybe should try with it's own thread, but as last year I will go with the flow :)
  • I would like to see a separate thread for FM. A dedicated thread with screen grabs would be very helpful as we are not able to scroll back on a timeline to see past activity. So it's a thumbs up from me!
  • I will go with the flow, but as Foulshaw has a webcam it would be good if it had its own thread, as obviously there are going to be more posts relating just to it.   

I would suggest an Annual thread like the Balgavies one, then no need for a new one to be opened every month.  

Again though I will go with the flow if people really want a monthly thread, that is alright as long as some are willing to open the threads each month and it not to be left to just one or two persons to do it every month GrinningGrinning    

Oh I am on a roll here ha ha..... because one of my pet hates is when people keep on posting on a monthly thread when a new month has started, rather than open the new month themselves.....   There you go folks I have said my bit if it offends I apologise but it is really meant lightheartedly. JoyJoyGrinning

EDIT: Karen I would leave this thread as it is with maybe a bit on opening page that it is for all Lake District Osprey projects, and that there will be a separate thread for Foulshaw Moss nest activities etc.     Again though will leave it up to the majority on what is decided. 

• Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I agree 100%, that there should be a separate thread for Foulshaw Moss nest activity as like Starling says, there was a lot of following/reports last year which got lost and vice versa news from the other nests got swallowed up within captures. I also agree with Mary that the thread should be annual.

So - we are all agreed :-)

I will change the OP thread accordingly and add a link pointing to the new Foulshaw Moss - 2020 Thread.
  • LOL Mary - I was posting as you edited your post. Yes definitely a new thread for FM.

Would you like to open it please :-))
  • OK Karen, I think most are in agreement of a new thread.   

• Excellent! Now all we can hope for is that the ospreys actually nest on the webcam nest and not opt for their "second home".