Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 16 February 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope you all have a wonderful week! I'm thinking of all of you in the monster Storm Dennis. I hope you all stay safe and secure! Take care, everyone.

• Sorry OG, I didn't intend to ignore you. Not good that you are still not feeling better. Maybe the AB's are not the right ones.
  • OG - I don’t suppose the weather is helping your health. {{{HUGS}}}

LINDA – I would have to name your g-d Rosebud!

LYNETTE – It is very hard that your b-i-l is so down that he seems to have given up. I hope he picks up soon.

ANNETTE – Ah, your whale eyes are still working.

HEATHER – Lovely that you are the centre of your family.

Garage clearup update - Success, of a sort. Missing photos still not found, however some important documents discovered this morning. How they were transported to the garage, and in a box of CDs, I shall not attempt to ask. OH is completely bewildered. His memory is not what it was and will only get worse.

• Greetings Everyone. Hope those in the UK have survived the storms without problems and that those who are ailing get better very soon. We've been lucky--only a couple of branches from our neighbour's oak tree fell harmlessly onto our lawn at the back. We'll just add them to the log pile for the insects to live in.
    Your talk of Malta reminded me of our visit there well over 25 years ago. It is a fascinating place with an interesting history, both ancient and modern, and I am glad we went. But we only learned afterwards about their practice of killing thousands of birds every year. I worry about our Ospreys and all of our songbirds every year and hope they migrate further west, but we did enjoy ourselves while we were there . We have not been back. We particularly liked going down into the catacombs and also wandering around historic Valletta. We also liked the Island of Gozo and learning about its ancient history. I seem to remember that the ruin we saw there was older than Stonehenge. We, too, were told that they do not drive on either the right or the left but in the shade. We took buses everywhere; they were very old buses from the UK. In one of the first buses we took, the driver crossed himself before he set off which immediately told us about the hazards of driving in that country! That driver had papered the entire interior of his bus with UK football team clippings, photos posters, etc..

Kind regards, Ann

• Good Morning. Dry again here, but showery expected.

Rosy, a worry for you, with your leak on the balcony, and hope it's fixed now.

Gardenbirder - Interesting about your Malta experiences. We were there about 6 or 7 years ago, and the buses had mostly been recently replaced with lovely brand new ones, which they were very proud of. Some of t he ruins were very ancient indeed. We didn't make it to Gozo, but believe it's very beautiful.

AQ -- You never know what you're going to find! I found a lot of old letters from friends and relatives which were interesting to read. Needless to say, I've kept a lot of them.....

Neither of us have anything we have to do, today, so we hope to cross a few small things off the To Do List, including collecting my refurbished wedding ring, and arranging money stuff for our upcoming holiday.
  • HEATHER - I hope your Son's business is up the hill and not affected by the flooding. Not sure where they live, but hope the family are safe too!

ROSY - doctor is hoping to get test results today to check whether she needs to change the antibiotic. She will phone me with any progress. Sorry about the balcony leak - not good for neighbourly relations!

AQ - good that the garage exercise revealed important documents - but sorry the photos have not come to light - yet!

LINDA - hope you are pleased with the ring when you collect it. When is the holiday? I think you mentioned March, so we are nearly there!

OH is going shopping this afternoon in Dumfries and J wants to visit the guitar shop, so I shall stay at home with the magazine - transcribing from handwriting is all done, so I just have to drop content onto pages in some logical order and write a couple of notices which nobody else has sent in! Someone has, however, emailed me an article for the April issue already!
  • Yes, OG, the shop is on Wyle Cop so not directly affected but the Severn has flooded some of the lower part of the town including car park (s). People have been advised not to come into Shrewsbury unless strictly necessary so he may not open today.
    ROSY - I hope the repointing will stop any more indoor showers for your neighbour!

Hope to return later with more replies -
  • Sorry your son is affected by the flooding, Heather. It's changing daily life for such a lot of people.

OG - I hope you feel better soon. Well done on getting on with the magazine. We are off again to The Canaries in the 2nd week of March, so I'll have to think about packing soon, although February will be longer than usual as I notice it's a Leap Year.

We collected the ring - it's a good fit, oh joy! And as a bonus, they've polished it so it looks almost new - after over 46 years of constant wear, it was just a little scratched! Of course, having it altered cost about double the original price of it, but we were given a small reduction as we know the jeweller personally.

Then we had a coffee in a famous coffee chain shop, where we wore our halos as we managed to resist having a slice of lemon drizzle cake or a cupcake... just had our drinks.

Then my OH went off to buy milk and left me to get some copies printed of our lovely Rosie photos.
  • HEATHER - sorry his sales will be affected, but glad his shop and stock aren't flood-damaged! OH just phoned - had to drive by a self-chosen diversion as the A75 was blocked - looked it up and I see it's a three vehicle accident - probably lorries to or from the ferries, could be wind -related.

LINDA - excellent will-power in the coffee shop! I am sure you will be wanting to send the copies of baptism photo of Rosie to lots of friends and relations! She really looked lovely - and a lot like Matthew too, I noticed - same big eyes.
  • ANNETTE ,- you must have enjoyed the bonus joy of seeing a whale! Almost felt that I was there.
    LYNETTE - it sounds as if your BiL is indeed very poorly, what are they thinking/doing about abdominal fluid?

My grandson is to appear in Sheriff Court in March, together with the other lads who have been charged with dangerous driving, two years ago. While in no way excusing their stupidity if indeed they were racing and overtaking on the road I am very upset about the whole thing.
  • Heather, not surprised you are upset about your grandson's court appearance. And I can completely understand your mixed feelings. A difficult situation for the family. Sending you strength and peace.

Annette, I so enjoyed your description of your walk, the egret and especially the whale. Thank you for sharing the experience.

Crazy week - and it's only Tuesday! Car servicing yesterday, with church meeting in the afternoon, bowls Committee Meeting this morning (I'm Secretary, so have the Minutes to prepare at some stage), bowls tomorrow followed by a meeting at church, bowls Thursday, bowls Saturday, and at some point in all of this I need to get the magazine completed and printed. Thank goodness for Friday!!