Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 16 February 2020

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I hope you all have a wonderful week! I'm thinking of all of you in the monster Storm Dennis. I hope you all stay safe and secure! Take care, everyone.

• Well done AQ - glad visit went well.

Annette - It's my BiL and it was Endocarditis he was diagnosed with. Infection beginning to clear but poor boy won't eat and there is water retention now in stomach. Its as though he has given up. He has to start to eat as there is nothing more they can do re treatment of antibiotics etc. Tough love is required by SiL but we will have to wait and see. He's never been in hospital with a days illness and just can't cope with it all.

Harelady - hope you get a good result re olive tree, it will be a shame if it can't be saved.

Lindybird - lovely one of Rosie in her gown. Glad the baptism went well and that you all enjoyed yourselves.

We had the wind and rain but nothing like other parts of the country. We always seem to get off lightly here.
  • Good Morning. Forgot to come on, as we had a visitor quite early on. Dry here, surprisingly.
  • Didn't come on here yesterday - was very tired after church service with meeting after - both very good - meeting very constructive but has given me extra work for the magazine! Still not well - Doc phoned this morning, but is waiting for lab report, so I am just carrying on with the ABs.

Weather report - counting ourselves very lucky - terrible gusty wind all day and overnight, but no precipitation - river remains high due to snow melt and water flow from higher ground. sunny this morning, and lighter winds - school is off this week so J has taken himself out for breakfast. Pupils have whole week, but staff have training Thursday and Friday.

Service engineer was due to check on my scooter, but phoned to say he hadn't set out because he had to take his dog to the vet - had phoned the company, but they didn't think to tell us - - he is now planning to come Wednesday. Can't think of anything due to happen this afternoon.

LINDA - lovely pics from the Baptism - glad you put the cake photo on as I had forgotten Roseanna's real name!
  • Sorry you're still not well, OG. Hope the abs eventually make a difference.

Cold wind here but quite bright. Went into the garden to see how things are going and found these looking colourful:

(Roseanna was called a lot of things yesterday, and seemed quite nonplussed by all the attention! "Sweetie" "Princess" "Sweetheart" "Blue Eyes" & "Gorgeous"!!)

• Also, my 1st daffs this year!!

Although these are tiny ones.

• My Youngest, holding his youngest! -- Proud daddy!

• Sorry about your olive tree, HARELADY. I know nothing about growing them but do hope than it can be rescued. After paying £50 for nothing.... but he will of course blame the weather.
    LINDY - such lovely photos x Such a pity that the St Albans family couldn't make it but better to be safe. Hope the sausage rolls went down well! Do you make your own pastry? I have got very lazy and often buy ready made.
    OG - such a persistent infection - I hope that you are not in too much discomfort.

Nothing much happening here. We are planning a 40th birthday party for my youngest daughter. We will have it here as there is more space. SIL has organised the cake and my eldest daughter is on board to help me with catering. Just as well - I get overwhelmed very easily, these days!
  • Morning all:

Lynette:  Do hope your BiL is eating - any chance someone could smuggle in his favorite food?

Lindybird:  Lovely pix of Rosie and proud Dad - and I too appreciated the photo of that very pretty cake with her full name.

Heather:  Good Lord - another big family event at your house!  Time to downsize to a one-bedroom bungalow?  :-))  Still, you do seem to get a lot of help with planning; let's hope the clean up isn't too overwhelming.  When is all this happening?

OG:  Not pleased to read you're still under the weather (and what weather!).  Fingers crossed the doc will be able to shed some light.  

Diane: I see they finally got Cygnus off the ground with supplies for the ISS (which included Valentine's Day chocolates).  Good to see they've got their priorities straight.  :-)  

I went for a walk down to the area where we used to count the whales (the new organization is still hustling for funding and hoping to do a very late count starting in mid-March but I suspect it won't happen until next season).   Anyway, it was a lovely day.   Saw this Great Egret (it must've been a good 3'6" tall). That white line on the right is the surf down at the beach..

The real treat was that I got to the bluff and was there just about 1 minute before I saw a whale!  Was so thrilled!  I watched it for about 45 minutes as it slowly went north passed the Point, blowing every 7 minutes or so.  It was alone; not unusual given that this is just the beginning of the northbound migration. The experts are watching this year with some trepidation given that the southbound migration in November/December included the same worryingly low number of undernourished whales noted the previous year that heralded a very low calf count.  Just over 200 whales washed up on the West Coast last year according to a recent Los Angeles TImes article, raising speculation that many more had perished at sea (not sure if you'll be able to access the link) https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-01-24/gray-whale-migration-deaths-california-alaska-oceans.  The last unexplained die-off was in 2000 - not sure what's going on now.

Anyway, a very busy week ahead here.  My friend is finally holding a memorial for her late husband next Saturday (her daughter is working at the US Embassy in London and this is her first opportunity for an extended visit since she was here when her Dad died).  A friend and I are 'hosting' a rushed lunch at the home in between two services so lots of scheduling, set up, etc. involved.  Plus two friends in town, doc visit, etc., etc...

take care all

• I bought the puff pastry, Heather. My own basic pastry is OK these days, but everyone likes the puff pastry for a mini sausage roll! They were enjoyed, with a few left over which Youngest said would be eaten in the next couple of days by the children as they're off school on their half term this week.

The yummy fruit cake in the photo was made & decorated by my opposing Grandma, and everyone took some home with them afterwards. It was a talking point with some of the Polish relatives, as apparently they don't have such fruit cakes there. We sampled some very dark and dense bread which they'd brought with them from Poland. It was filling but good.

Annette - how exciting seeing the whale- well spotted! But I suppose you're used to looking out for them.... like the Egret, too. You sound busy. Roseanna's full name is Rose (for a great grandma) anna (for another relative) Maria (for my mother, who was Mary) and finally Linda, for me. A mouthful to fit on official forms!

Heather - Your family are lucky to have you, offering to host big family events. Hope you get lots of help.
  • Lynette, It must be very difficult for your brother if has never been ill before, or in hospital. I hope something can be found find that he likes to eat.

Lindy, Lovely pics of both family and flowers (and cake)

Annette. Seems like a good trip you had to the whale area. Lovely that you saw one.

Heather, I agree with Annette. Your house is really party central! Good that you get help with the catering though, and all seems harmonious in your kitchen.

We had some damage from Dennis, or rather my neighbour downstairs did, Apparently, our balcony sprung leaks under the extreme weather conditions, resulting in an indoor shower around his windows!
    This is an old building and the balconies are very narrow, not really big enough for sitting out on. I grow geraniums on ours.
    Anyway, some re-pointing has been done today, which should solve the problem,