Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 29 December 2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR and HAPPY NEW DECADE!

Photo: Aurora Borealis
U.S. Geological Survey: Labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• Diane, Very curious that the Moderators are reviewing the cougar/lion thread. Most odd. Do they think it might be some attempt at a scam? It is a bit odd that Caleb did not make any reply.

Kind regards, Ann

• Good luck with the crockery culling LINDA. I pruned my glassware, mugs, etc a few weeks ago, binning some, the rest to charity shop. Having rearranged remainder so that I don’t have pull everything out to find what I want, there does not seem to be any spare space!

Much angst & discussion whether Sydney should have NYE fireworks. Some people want money donated to bushfire victims; oblivious to fact that fireworks already purchased. Canberra, Parramatta & many NSW towns have cancelled but Sydney will go ahead – tourist dollars are worth too much. I always think fireworks are a waste and the money would be better spent on hospitals. We won’t do anything special - OH will snooze over TV & go to bed early while I will devour another book. I am still working through library selection, saving Dau#2’s gift of the latest Sara Donati. Alas chocs from Trio have disappeared.

Much cooler today, mid 20s, I was even cold overnight. Still not sleeping well and I feel so flat today. I have been out to replenish food supplies. Normal weeks my supermarket gives a pension discount on Wednesdays. This & last week they are giving it on Tues due to holidays. Much appreciated.

• Gardenbirder: These days, I think that moderators rarely get involved unless a post is flagged by members of the forum. So, I'm assuming that someone (or multiple people) objected to Caleb's post or perhaps my response and flagged it for review.

People may have resented the fact that the post was not relevant to the UK, and I understand that reasoning. This is a UK website. I thought Caleb's post was odd and questioned its legitimacy, but I responded because I hate it when mountain lions are killed by authorities because humans simply don't know how to protect themselves and their pets and exist peacefully with the big cats. My priority was protecting the life of a mountain lion in the event that the post was true.

Also, the RSPB may not have wanted the liability of advising people about coping with large cats that can be dangerous, especially non-UK animals, and I understand that.

• AQ: Was just looking at CNN headlines.  Things look really bad at Mallacoota, where residents are trapped on the beach.  Awful.

• AQ: I was also just looking at those CNN headlines. Just ghastly. I hope you will stay safe and the awful heat will abate soon. I hope for the best for your country.

• ANNETTE & DIANE – The Mallacoota people are safe. 4,000 were on the beach when the wind changed & saved them. Still 4 people unaccounted in VIC. In NSW 2 fatalities & third unaccounted for, 16 Emergency fires plus all the “ordinary” ones across both states. A NSW firefighter killed yesterday when a “fire tornado” flipped his 8-tonne fire truck. He was 28, wife expecting first child. Most firefighters are volunteers and have taken time of work using holiday leave or unpaid. No word how many houses, sheds lost. How much worse can it get and it is still early summer.
  • Heard the news regarding the fires and folk on the beach, it's been on World Service news bulletins all night. Tragic about the young firefighter whose wife is expecting their first child.
  • Saw the News bulletins this morning. A tragedy for the area, and the whole country. Do hope that all their homes are safe now, although it looks as if some have been lost. Very sad.

Good Morning to All here. The last day of this year already, which has gone all too fast. Let's hope that 2020 is better in many ways for a lot of our posters on this thread.
  • Last day of 2019, and last medical appointment of the year! Had my annual mammogram this morning - outpatient area of the hospital was very quiet - actually got a real badge-holder place in the car park! Decided we couldn't be bothered to stop anywhere for lunch on the way home, so had an early sandwich at the hospital the drove home for leftover cake - J was making egg fried rice for himself. Now a lovely smell as OH is making beef bourgignon for dinner! Very cold today - 4.5 here this morning, but zero in Dumfries - but none of that chilling wind.
  • Glad you're home in the warm, OG. It's been mild here - I went shopping this morning and there were people out and about without coats on.

This afternoon, Sue and I went to the cinema to see "Little Women". What a disappointment. Good costumes and some great acting, but oh dear. Back and forth, back and forth went the story, as if the wonderful tale we all love had been put in a food mixer. I'm sure that some folks who've never read the story were totally flummoxed. Ruined it for us, and we both agreed we'd never watch this version again.