'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• scylla said:
    No you didn't, Wendy dear - you posted a link to a sleeping perry

Oh silly me ... this is the link to Raccoon having a munch ...https://youtu.be/Y8OSUjv-hFM

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    Oh silly me ... this is the link to Raccoon having a munch

Very strange!  Because I would have been notified of the upload and would have given it a Like but I hadn't :-/  Have now :)))

Ohio birds

More greedy American Crows:

And one showing off an unusual plumage drape:

Blue Jay - they don't happen to have been so plentiful in my recent downloads and haven't posed very friendlily either:

Scott does what he can to discourage "European" Starlings.  Americans almost always include the adjective to blame it all on us!  All I will say to {{{CC}}} is "GREY SQUIRREL!  MINK!".

These woodpeckers appeared within moments of each other but I could only get a semi-rear view of one of them.  I haven't studied them yet.

At Starr Ranch, where I was introduced to the Mourning Dove, first of all by its mournful call* at dawn and/or dusk, I used to celebrate when one, occasionally 2, visited the "spa" watering hole.

*HERE is the call of the Mourning Dove, in case you've never heard it :)

IMAGICAT

• Ohio ground feeders

Seldom seen Mallard:

A handsome hunk ;)

Disappointed cat came 2 hours too early:

Then Scott did the top-ups:

Harmonious mixed feeding:

Cat returned for a more rewarding browse:

Solitary Mourning Dove was first in @ 07:25 - funny how they take turns to flock and go it alone:

IMAGICAT

• I've had to stop monitoring the Stump cam because it's gone wrong, I won't bother myself or you trying to explain what's happening ;)

AND !!!  Guess what?!!!

LOTL is LIVE !!!

Nasty weather up there.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    LOTL is LIVE !!!

well spotted scylla. It is indeed blowing a hoolie.

• Great pics,  We get lots of Downy Woodpeckers in New Jersey.  Looks like (is this Scott of Ohio’s cam?) these are a male and a  female.  Also mourning doves aplenty.    Couple of (bad) pics of  our Downy WPs   Hope they post ok: 

• Unknown said:
    (is this Scott of Ohio’s cam?)

Yes, Lisa :)  And it looks like you owe us another Downy pic, at least, to go with that lovely one ;)  It really helps with "learning" if one can see lots of different views of the same bird in a short space of time... for certain people who have short-term memory probs, haha.

IMAGICAT

• Thanks, All, for the pics. Korky, was the webcam you took a pic from in the US southwest? Seemed to be hardy vegetation and mountains in the background and the Acorn Woodpecker's range map shows they are many, many miles from Ohio.

Kind regards, Ann

• Thank you, LISA - great real pictures! :)

I missed KORKY's ACWO (that's what I've got used to calling them on the Starr Ranch (southern California) forum, it's the official abbreviation for Acorn Woodpecker as per https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBl/manual/speclist.cfm and so much quicker to type - only trouble is one ends up calling them an "akwo" instead of their name)... cos it got BOPS'd.

As GARDENBIRDER has pointed out, it won't be one of those in Ohio.

It's an ill wind, as they say, and I might have been comforted - but you haven't quite rivalled my crow/grackle debacle ;-D

==============

STUMP FEEDER !!!

I wrote to Peter about the problem with it and he replied to say that Fergus had topped it up at 20:20 last evening and had I got the mice hiding the seeds with piles of "rubbish"?  Oh dang!  But it wasn't my fault, it's the frequency of the URL changes that I cannot cater for.

Anyway, I fished out the last download that I had deleted in (more, TeeJay) despair and went thru it and got such a shock!  I tried to count the ins 'n outs in the 2h20m clip but lost it at about 60, and they were like lightning when their little heads weren't buried down the right slat thing.

A couple of vids - as you know, the right side is rather dark so I've brightened them but that means the non-right side may be a bit artificial-looking :(

Some examples of mice leaving with stuff mouths - it looks as tho most are the same mouse, in which case it should have collapsed with exhaustion, the number of times it made the trip:

Just one on the way in:

Only one checked the other side :)

Where's that weasel?  It could have had a field day :o

I've set the download going again, needless to say.

IMAGICAT