'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• An update on the Captiva (Sanibel) Eagles nest.

A member of staff from CROW (Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife) has removed the remains of Hope from the nest. It is feared the eaglet suffered the same fate as E14 from the SWFEC nest last season.

Update and pics here (A word of caution, the pics do show little Hope's remains)

• Thanks Sandra. As I'd feared. I guess her sibling died of the same thing. I read somewhere about a rat being brought to the nest last week. Sadly, a common fate for scavenging birds
  • Thank you for the links, SANDRA - I thought I saw a video of CROW's visit to the nest but couldn't stop to look properly - if I see it again I'll post it.

©SW Florida Eagle Cam Fdn

26 Jan

I got the impression that one of the almost-twins fared quite a bit worse than the other during the all-day bonking:

Boreal Ontario

26 Jan

I'm only checking for unusual activities now.

All the usual birds seen except any Woodpecker.  Here was the Western Meadowlark taking off after 4 minutes foraging on the ground, and it was back again later but not on the feeder:

Daisy and the Possum and the Sea Eagles, she comes thru them all:

Daisy Duck's delightful down duvet:

• scylla said:
    I got the impression that one of the almost-twins fared quite a bit worse than the other during the all-day bonking:

I don't think I've ever seen aggression so early on and as often as these two

• Would you believe it?!  Something made me check FalconCam and Izzi is still using the scrape !!!  The Ledge stream is only just surviving, it seems to have lost sound altogether.  I'm now downloading Cam2 as well, just for a while, as it's morning there at the mo.

• ©SW Florida Eagle Cam Fdn

27th

Long video of fighting and feeding, both survived:

https://youtu.be/I6LU3OUk5cw

©SeaEagleCAM Team

Just for the record.

27&28 Daisy Duck's ins 'n outs, nasty windy day/night:

Gettysburg, PA

I've had a message from a YouTuber who thinks the cam is "mine":

Hello - I wanted to reach out to you. I was watching your Gettysburg Live Cam this morning (1/27/21) and saw a bird that looked odd. It was a house finch but something was not quite right with his face/eyes. I posted the video clip that I captured on the PA Bird Id Facebook page. Several people commented that the bird was sick with conjunctivitis. They recommended to stop feeding the birds for a few days and disinfect the feeders since it is highly contagious. Hope this message finds you.

Very frustrating, I can't see a way to message the hosts that I can pass on to the above messager.  While I was looking around I found a little bluebird clip - they say they've got a caged feeder with live mealworms for the bluebirds, who unusually checked out the on-cam feeder.  I love these birds, they used to sing for us at Skidaway Island when we were following a Great Horned Owl family:

Mother and child, they're calling it an Oriole, I think this must be a Baltimore Oriole:

And a gorgeous "immature red-shouldered hawk" checking out the feeder - superb quality, these vids they do themselves Open mouth

©FalconCam,  CSU, NSW

Izzi was on the ledge for a little while then flew off and was back within 45 seconds with a meal:

• ©SeaEagleCAM Team

Oh no, Daisy's eggs were left exposed for an hour-and-a-half on such a cold wet day Disappointed relieved

• The DOC ranger checks on the 4 day old nestling

Amazing to watch both parents trying to brood the chick towards the end of the video

• Aww, such amazing parents, Korky, thanks for sharing. :)
  • My Internet has been down since 05:12. I shall have my head in completed downloads for the duration.

EDIT - back up after 1h30m but network stymied, fixed by 07:00-ish.