'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• Oh no. I wonder if they have suffered from the same thing that E14 from SWFEC died from? 'The liver tissue of E14 was found to contain markedly increased levels of brodifacoum, a type of anticoagulant rodenticide or rat poison.'?
  • Thanks, everyone--very sad. I, too, looked at the Sanibel Island Eagle cam chat and someone had posted that a small animal, possibly a rat, was brought in for breakfast on the 18th. I hope the parents did not eat any of it as well.

Lisa, were all of those 5 deaths in the same area or spread around?

Kind regards, Ann

• Captiva - death of Hope (recorded from rollback)

It may seem ghoulish but I am compelled... Pensive 

IMAGICAT

• Hi GB. I’m not sure but have asked on their chat. Just reading more comments there and I think (if I’m reading through them correctly) that they’ve asked the powers that be to retrieve Hope’s body to perform a necropsy.
  • ©SW Florida Eagle Cam Fdn

Heehee:

https://youtu.be/1U3nCvf7-Fc

M brought a squirrel for the next breakfast - there were some very clear views of it but I'm not showing the poor little thing Pensive

How can we choose?

Some more scenes:

To me, Bald Eagles are 'merely' brown birds with white heads 'n tails.  In past seasons I've followed the NE and SW Florida birds (for a Facebook page) until our ospreys came home, and eventually I would get to differentiate between M&F - not this season, tho, as I've only just dipped in.

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:

©SW Florida Eagle Cam Fdn

How can we choose?

--------------------------------------------------------

Scylla, one of the mods (Essec) has closely compared many screenshots of E17 and E18. I found this info on the discussion board

'E18 has the more slicked back feathers around the face and also seems to have a more diamond or teardrop shape nares.
    E17 has the more fluffy feathers between the eyes and its nares are more oval shaped' 

Hope that helps? Slight smile

Many thanks for the vids and pics - super!

• Boreal Ontario

Just a shortie of our Western Meadlowlark flying up to the feeder with a slomo:

It was back early evening, as often, and this time (after a very abbreviated spell) had a lovely leg-stretch:

I'm off for a while, SYAL.

IMAGICAT

• In Dunedin NZ, LGK, the male albatross checks on his chick

The one-day-old chick was returned to the nest less than 24 hours ago after it finished the 4-day hatching process in an incubator.

(c) DOC/Cornell

• Daisy the Pacific Black Duck

While she was on a break a single chatty Rainbow Lorikeet and then a single shouty Raven visited the nest tree - others of their kind could be heard but kept their distance.

05:00 the next morning I could see a Brushtail Possum under and around the nest for half an hour but it never appeared on the nestcam, and Daisy didn't seem to react to it.

Later, a couple of Lorikeets attended on a branch for a while but not major invasion.

Later still, one of the Sea Eagles came for a few minutes while Daisy was on a long break - it stayed up on its nighttime perch branch:

Daisy has been very lucky so far!

IMAGICAT

• I've lost some snaps for this post because the system reduced them all to 320px wide, so I'm trying to upsize them but some I'd already put in recycle bin but they'd been permanently deleted.

Aaahhh Kissing heart 

Some snow blew in thru the porthole, can you see it glistening on her fluff?  She moved to the back of the box right away:

Boreal Ontario

25th

This morning a small flock of Common Redpoll were first in:

These two were in 'n out all day:

I saw the Western Meadowlark on the ground.

SW Florida Eagles

25th - they had a small breakfast and a rest, then suddenly all hell let loose !!!

There's been more of that but maybe not as bad.  I'm not doing any more in detail for now.

Beautiful jewels on the squirrel carcass Grin 

IMAGICAT