'FORUM FRIENDS, WILDLIFE-FROM-WHEREVER' (Off-season, all cams off at Loch Garten)

OK I'll start this off. Czech Republic jays and a red squirrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOsXWkp1_BM

• One "storking" the other?

Unknown said:
    One stalking the other.....?

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Nope, it's a female red-bellied woodpecker. The male has red over the entire top of the head.

Unknown said:
    Well, without cheating.....I'd say, some sort of woodpecker (hairy....??) and male.....?

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• Is it male ladder-backed Woodpecker? Very fancy bird!

BTW ... I cheated! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Is it male ladder-backed Woodpecker? Very fancy bird!

BTW ... I cheated! Lol

Unfortunately, cheating didn't work cos you were wrong, Wendy. Of course CC is right and so she should be as she's American.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thank you for the Stump cam heads-up, IAN - I'd been checking daily but not today!

As for the quizzes, I knew the red-bellied from its star performances at SW Florida a few years ago, but I'd never have got the hairy.

I was trying to ID the one on the Czech feeder and google led me to a couple of Cornish lads' bird blog woodpecker page, so I sent them snaps, still waiting for an answer.  Hairy doesn't seem to quite fit this one, which I had assumed was a variety of GSW :-/

IMAGICAT

• It is a male Great Spotted Woodpecker, Scylla. I've noticed that both the male and female have a brown stain above the bill. I don't know whether this is a genetic abnormality or perhaps staining from where they have been probing in mud or bark.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• So now you've cracked the Hairy Woodpecker identification, who is the little guy in the centre of this scap? The Hairy is on the right for comparison. You are allowed to research it - it's not cheating - that's how we all learn.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• It Looks like a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker ? if it was in the UK  Downy Woodpecker

• Unknown said:
    Ha, ha, Scylla, Any chance there are two Storks?--lol!

I've got very behind and had internet probs today, ending up with a lot of tiny files :-/

Czech pond

Marched off with a hunk of bread, bold as brass ;)

We couldn't see who our angel-winged duck was defending itself from - someone up above!

Czech feeder

Robin was last on the 28th:

And first in on the 29th:

A few snaps from before my internet went bonkers.

The cupboard was (nearly) bare:

Soon got replenished big-time :)

IMAGICAT