Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 15 September 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY HARVEST MOON!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

• Blueberry Muffin outcome - was really too tired to make them last night, so swapped today and tomorrow breakfasts and made them today to eat tomorrow.

J has another sicknote from GPs. He has made decisions re the operation and phoned the surgeon's secretary to confirm he will have a hemithyroidectomy (rhs only) on the consultant's advice and definitely get it done at Wythenshawe. Only in for one night or possibly two so we shall all stay down there a few nights, but I'm hoping OH won't insist on being right near the airport.

Shopping Morrisons tomorrow, so all having lunch at garden centre and J will browse The Range for picture frames for his room.
  • AQ: We don't hear about anything here other than political ridiculousnes and celebrity scandals (unless we go online or watch BBC news on TV).    I deleted 102 Minutes without watching any more.  Still get pangs whenever the Twin Towers show up in old movies..

Lindybird:  Ah, the not-so-dulcet sounds of tree trimmers going full blast here.  Where are you going this time?  Please tell me it's not a year since Fuerteventura.

• OG -- Just Googled hemithyroidectomy, and it sounds straightforward. Not too bad afterwards: it mentions that there is some discomfort but that this soon passes. I expect that J feels some sense of relief that its all now been decided upon. Enjoy your muffins, eventually!

Annette, we go to Fuerteventura every spring -- well, we call it spring but its usually mid February to early March. When we get home the daffodils are out to cheer us up. So we were there this year at the end of Feb.  This time, we were set on going to a Greek island we've not been to - there are many, of course. But there, the heat goes out of the sun at the end of September and indeed a lot of hotels close down then for winter.  So now we're looking at the Canaries again, but want to go somewhere different there.

• Annette, when the Twin Towers are shown on old footage, or in films, I get a lump in my throat.
  • We've had three mountain lion sightings on the university grounds in the last two days - not far from where we count whales during the season. All very interesting.

Busy with family phone calls today - the sort of things I imagine Heather copes with. Then a friend sent me an e-mail saying that "all good things must come to an end" and I found myself wondering Why?

Tree work done and very nicely too, so that's the Chinese Elm sorted for the next two years.

Have a good Friday all.
  • Annette: I read about the 3 mountain lion sightings. I saw a news photo of the signs that the university had put up telling students to stay indoors. Does that make you afraid to go watch whales? I also saw that there were 2 sightings at a college in Lompoc. Also, the Mountain Lion Foundation said on Facebook that P-61 was chased by an uncollared male lion before he was hit on the 405 freeway. All sort of strange. Stay safe.

• Diane:  Won't be too worried about counting whales come next February.  And yes, the two in Lompoc showed up on the Allan Hancock college campus. - mountain lions with a yearning for learning?  Apparently they aren't generally known to go on the attack.  I didn't hear about P-61 being chased, but they're very territorial.  Our local media folks were speculating that they were perhaps coming down from the mountains for food/water after wildfire destroyed their areas. The worst fire in the SM Mountains, where P-61 lived, was the Woolsey in November 2018, and some of the hiking trails are still closed to protect new growth.  FYI, KTLA has links to four videos showing the two lions - the first three aren't too clear.   But it's amazing to see them wandering in residential areas.....

• Good Morning. Sunny here. Can't see any lions out of the window ;-) but it would be amazing!

Got more laundry to do, and lots of small things on the To Do List.
  • Leaving in an hour or so. Sorry no replies, I've been popping in to read but that's all, have had garden jobs to do as well as housework.
    Take care, all, I hope to be in touch while away.
  • Have a good time with your friend, Heather, and safe journeys.

Glorious sunshine here, but I've been in the car for some of the morning. At least I got my smalls on the line!! Just going to sit outside with a cuppa.