Weekly chat (non osprey) Sunday 1st September 2019

• The three of us had a good lunch out today - boys had sausage and apple pie and I had brie, bacon and cranberry sandwich. So many garnishes etc - too much food really. Also did a bit of "special" food shopping, and had a wee look at garden centre nearby, but they are quite muddled preparing for - wait for it - Christmas!

Dau#1 and her OH are visiting at the end of the month. They need to collect boxes of J's unwanted stuff we sorted out for GD#2 and a box for Guides, so they are taking a short break in our area. Don't think we saw them since New Year!

J is at acoustic Folk Group this evening, despite feeling a bit "wobbly" earlier. OH is feeding the birds - Collared Dove pair were here earlier, despite Mr SH being in the area again recently.
  • Sounds like a good lunch, OG. I love brie!

Hope that J enjoyed his Folk Group Evening.

I went to see sis in law, who was pleased to see me, and we gossiped about our families and the "Brexit" word, She has had to have a new roof put on her conservatory as it was leaking, and she's very pleased with the result. She was also pleased to have our tomatoes!

• The lunch does sound good OG. I find most restaurant meals are too large for me now. I hate wasting food, but, as Lindy said recently, we then have to digest it!
    Yes, the shops will soon be full of C******** things. M&S had the halloween range out today.

Lindy, please send tomatoes here. I bought some avocado and mozzarella today. Just fancy a salad tricolour.
  • Tomatoes on their way, Rosy :-) - my OH is threatening to make tomato soup tomorrow, although I would prefer to chop them up & freeze them for future tomato sauce recipes!

My sis in law ate several tomatoes straight from the box when I called round: nothing quite like the flavour of home grown!

Our Youngest reports that grandson Matthew has gone through his first three days at school well - no tears, went through the doors with his big brother quite happily, and has been tired out when returning home. We hope that this is a good start, as he has been a bit clingy to his mother previously, but maybe now he is ready for the next stage in life. He knows all his numbers, and loves the numbers programme on CBBC- CBeebies (children's TV).

Must go to bed.....
  • Evening all: Busy day here, but not much to report I'm off to LA Sunday morning for four days in the Los Angeles/Orange County area to see old friends and colleagues.

Have a good Saturday all
  • Good Morning. Cloudy here. May have to consider exchanging our duvets for the heavier winter ones, soon!

Annette, I see you're off on your travels again. Safe journeys, and enjoy seeing your friends.
  • LINDA - so pleased about Matthew's start at school - I know you have sometimes worried about him, and the new baby at home could have made it difficult for him to leave his Mum, but its sounds as if he did really well.

J has gone the opposite way on the train this morning - to Dumfries. OH has been to Tesco, and is now hoping to mow! Lovely weather - tomorrow too, I believe.
  • ANNETTE - lovely to be meeting up with folk from the old days :-)
    LINDY - ditto from me, regarding Matthew's good start at school. My granddaughter Bella also started this week. Her only complaint was that the spaghetti Bolognese didn't taste right! My daughter in law sussed out that it probably didn't have red wine in it. Our family recipe includes a few glugs in it. My eldest daughter said that Katie was the same when she first had the school dinner version !
    ROSY /OG - I'm the same regarding portions in restaurants. I hate wasting food and sometimes order a starter portion instead of the full thing. We were very happy when we visited the US for the first time because a lot of restaurants we went to offered ' senior portions' !!

The man from Scottish Gas is coming here in about an hour, to discuss a new boiler. Hmmmm.....
  • Evenings are definitely getting darker. I had persuaded myself it was due to the bad weather, but today was so sunny and then - yes, real genuine darkness, not just dark clouds.
  • Same here, OG.
    I won't bore you with details of the boiler discussion - suffice to say that I felt patronised and that was enough for me to decide to seek other opinions.