Weekly chat (non osprey) Sunday 1st September 2019

• Rosy, I know that feeling all too well.......

My sympathies.
  • ROSY/LINDY: I use my desktop PC for posting on this site.

If I'm logged in, my avatar (the little barn owl photo next to my name) appears at the very top of the page in the dark blue box on the right. If I'm not logged in, a blank face icon appears instead of my owl. So, I always know immediately whether I'm logged in or not -- before I start a reply. I can just glance at the top of the page.

However, I've never used a smartphone to post on this site. Maybe the phone app you folks use doesn't show that dark blue box at the top of the page.

(I have an old phone. I can reach the Internet on it, but it doesn't have the functionality of a smartphone and my data is very limited on it, so I don't use it for the web.)

Anyway, I just thought I'd try to help.

• Yes, Diane. It took me a few mistakes to realise that I need to check in the top box before trying to post.

I'll check my smartphone in the morning, to see if it's the same on there. I usually post on my tablet for this forum. But I've just switched my phone off - I'm not one of those people who leaves it on 24 hours a day.

Gone midnight here, goodnight.

• Lindy, Yes, most of the birds are different but some are the same. Considering the time of year and where we'll be, I imagine any Ospreys will probably have migrated (but I have seen Ospreys in the States before--many years ago).
    Diane, Thanks for the suggestions for bird ID. I've used the all about birds site a few times in the past. I'll probably need a holiday to recover from the holiday but I will still manage to enjoy myself anyway--lol!

Kind regards, Ann

• Gardenbirder:  Have a lovely visit - this is a good time to visit Chicago.  Where else will you be traveling?

Diane:  Missed that live cam.  Thanks for passing these links on!

• Good Morning. A bit grey and drizzly here, but supposed to clear up later in the day. My OH has gone on an all day golf trip, which was postponed earlier due to bad weather. I'm going to stay home and do lots of stuff, and then visit sis in law this afternoon with a boxful of tomatoes from our allotment.

Gardenbirder - I know what you mean, travelling can be wonderful but sometimes you need another holiday when you get back, as its tiring! Hope you have a great time.

Unbelievable that we're nearing another weekend already. We were hoping for a quiet one but I can already see things piling up which need doing..... never mind.
  • Hello all
    Thank you for all posts and pics!
    I enjoyed lunch yesterday, with eldest daughter, we went to our favourite curry house and I had chicken tikka pieces which were lovely. I rather overdid the fried onions that accompanied it, though and I should know better. Not a good night!! I hate this getting older thing. I love onions but they don't seem to love me these days, darn it.
  • Glad you had a good lunch, Heather. I love onions, too (although they have to be cooked, not raw). If I think I've overdone it, I take a Gaviscon tablet before I go to bed!

Raining properly here, so not sure if my OH is having the same on his golf course, as he is some miles away. Getting some small things done, including sorting out my handbag, which seems to be overflowing with bits of paper. Also making phone calls re security checks on online spending, as they're getting even stricter now and they want lots of information including phone numbers.
  • Just looked on my phone for the icon mentioned by Diane last night - can't see it, as of course everything is condensed on there, to get it all displayed on a smaller screen.
  • Lindy, this appears to happening on other threads as well. Apparently, we should not be seeing the Reply thingy if we are not logged in.

Thank you for your help, Diane. I am sure I had been logged in when I started reading the thread.

Fingers crossed!