Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 August 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

Do check back to last week's thread for some interesting posts: a post from Annette about a wonderful parade, a post from Lindy about spotting a stunning parrot (!), and discussion of hummingbirds, butterflies, and more. There was a lot of activity.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and enjoys the dog days of summer. 

• HEATHER – Can you pick a time when your nephew is likely to be asleep, and ring him? A taste of his own medicine?

Lately when I make lists-to-do, half the things don’t even make it to the list, and then I only do a few of those listed. I am going backwards!!! Light rain today, expecting more next few days.

• Ugh. Wrote a long post and then found "the page you wanted no longer exists." Hit the back arrow, was about to copy the post but it disappeared in a flash. Anyway, have read all the news and made all kinds of appropriate responses but am too tired to recreate them. Meanwhile, all well here. Take are all, wherever.....
  • Too many lost posts occurring these days!

LINDA - sorry you were so tired after the day with Amber - hope you get a slightly less active day today - but enjoy it.

AQ - Dumfries has a performance area in the centre of the High Street in town - but the town still needs rescuing form "town centre blight" - the disappearance of small local retailers as well as large chains.

ANNETTE - Sorry about lost post - glad to see all well. Enjoy time with your Daughter.

We had heavy rain and thunder last evening - lights flickered once, I think it was probably an automated switchover due to lightning on an overhead part of the network. Warm and breezy so far - expecting rain in the afternoon. Also expecting man to see to faulty shower - just looking forward to having sole use of my wetroom again! J has gone to Dumfries to pick up a guitar which he took in for tweaking - long walk to and from station with a heavy guitar case - will probably gat a call to fetch him from Annan station when he gets back. I should use the day to catch up with correspondence.
  • Lots of rain here overnight and some trains cancelled due to flooding on the main line between here and Perth. Middle daughter should be back in Inverness by now, she arrived at the station and was told to jump on whichever train to Inverness came in first, as everything seems to be haywire.

The garden weeds are trying to beat me and are succeeding at the moment. I pass by many gardens which have more weeds so am trying not to worry too much. OG - my OH used the hedge trimmer to shape shrubs etc. Unfortunately I can't use it well so am going to have to pay quite a lot of money to have the work done for me. Youngest son in law does a bit but has his own garden to look after. The rest of the men in the family here are not gardeners by inclination or ability....

AQ - I'm glad that you had a good trip. Will look up Beersheba - think there was a word missing from your narrative?

I'm planning lemon sole and chips from the freezer for my meal. Really must eat from the freezer, it needs sorting out!
  • AQ - I guessed Battle of Beersheba and have just been reading about it. A huge article on Wikepedia.
  • Nanny duty is changing – Miss7 is no longer going to Guides but has taken up dancing on Saturdays. Dau has been so stressed lately that I did not dare to mention reducing visits. I did leave early yesterday as a start. Of course I drove home in pouring rain with everyone else who left work early! Twins were playing happily together after I finished my chores, so I retired to another room & put my feet up for 20 mins. Suddenly I remembered I was in charge of “bath day”. I bullied them into shower (quicker) and they were just drying as Dau returned from school/shop/library run.

We have been warned of “severe weather” today with strong winds & more rain. No weeding possible.

• OH has wandered in to ask if I enjoyed my party last night. Huh? There are 2 balloons in our backyard. I wonder where they escaped from. He is going to toss them over fence to the neighbour with pre-schoolers.
  • AQ: Sorry to hear that daughter is stressed-out.  My nephew and his wife have three kiddies and are going nonstop what with one activity or another.  As has been mentioned on this thread before, there was no such structure when we were young; no expectations that we were to be entertained by the adults or taken hither and yon.  My nephew's wife had an anxiety attack a month ago that landed her in the E.R. for the day.

Heather; I was wondering if Amy's Mom was your middle daughter.  So nice that she found a Good Samaritan to ride along with her...  

Lindybird: I was wondering what plans you had for the rest of the visit. It sounds hectic.

All fine here.  Daughter will be back with us Friday lunchtime so plan to work in the garden tomorrow before OH and I eat out tomorrow night.

Take care all.

• Getting ready to say goodbye to our visitors, who are packing up but not leaving until after the commuter rush.

Will write replies later!
  • Have just put 3rd load into w. machine.... 2 more to go! We usually wash our towels on Thursdays, so did those 1st, then stripped the beds. Thankfully we have sunshine today before it becomes stormy tomorrow.

Yesterday, I sent the men off to supervise Amber at our local playground, whilst I dashed off on an errand, and popped into Tesco for new supplies. Then we ate a hurried cheese sandwich before dashing off to the cinema, to see Toy Story 4. Back home again, we read stories and Amber practised her handwriting skills before I cooked her a pizza with broccoli, her favourite vegetable!!

She was excited to head for home again today, to tell mummy about all her adventures. Annette, the children of today seem to have organised activity, unlike in our day when we were posted outside and told "Go and play!"