Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 4 August 2019

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH!

Do check back to last week's thread for some interesting posts: a post from Annette about a wonderful parade, a post from Lindy about spotting a stunning parrot (!), and discussion of hummingbirds, butterflies, and more. There was a lot of activity.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and enjoys the dog days of summer. 

• I have just come in from the garden - chopping a rambling rose that probably shouldn't be chopped in August but it was annoying me!

LINDY- you will miss Amber but as a friend of mine said to me this morning - ' it was lovely, but PHEW!!'. I've been thinking about the life that our grandchildren lead. When I was a child I did do quite a lot, Guides, elocution lessons (!) ballet which I hated and soon gave up, piano lessons, Sunday school. The thing was, I walked to all these things, alone or got a bus, alone. My parents took us to the beach a few times a year by bus or ferry and very occasionally, to the cinema. When at home it was 'out to play' as ANNETTE describes and home for meal times. My mother was always busy cooking, shopping, cleaning or doing the washing the hard way. There wasn't a lot of being read to or being played with in the house as far as I can recall but once I could read, I was hooked!

• Heather - Yes, I can relate to some of the happenings in your childhood. I walked everywhere, or went on a bus, and always on my own or with friends. I remember particularly the choice two friends and I had on Guides evening. We were given our return bus fare - and then had to make a decision between going home on the bus or having chips and walking home, around two miles. I seem to remember chips and long walks quite often …! As a youngish teenager (13-15) I would take a packed lunch and a bottle of water and cycle to horse shows all over the south-east, often completing more than 30 miles round trip, My parents never seemed to worry about where I was, or when I was due home. I was never frightened about those long trips alone, And when I was at home I always had my head in a book … or spent hours playing the piano. A different way of life!
  • How sad it had to happen that way. But I think that maybe the people involved in this could learn from it, unfortunate though it is.

Going to bed early now, as I'm tired from the effort of this week. Will try to get around to replies tomorrow!
  • Pat O - know what you mean about that hymn, when He comes to claim us, not yet please.

Lindy - well done, another rescue. Afraid I find loads of flies and the white butterflies in the conservatory after a week or two , lifeless. I am leaving the conservatory doors open most days or at least one hoping that any that have flown in will fly out again, one can only hope they do.

By the way, thanks Diane for the start off again.
  • Oh dear, Heather, things have been busy for you. Hope cousin has now realised what time he should message you. Hope all has calmed down now and you can relax a bit.

Lindybird, Amber is certainly keeping you on the go, but how wonderful to have her for a couple of days knowing you can hand her back and later recover. Precious moments.

Weather has been kind down here, mostly sunshine with the occasional shower, cloudy and breezy. Forecast is for severe weather coming in with amber warnings around the country. Not sure what we will get, usually miss the worst, but.........

Last night went to see The Lion King with dau and dau in law - what a fabulous film and the cinematography is super, how they did it I don't know but that is their secret.
  • LINDY - I am sure you are tired from Amber's visit, although you enjoyed having her to stay. I cannot remember what age she is now.

OG - A sad story. It seems to have been completely unexpected.

HEATHER - I think we have to do the gardening jobs when we have the time to do them. Not always at the ideal time for the plant. Nature generally manages to recover from human intervention in time.
    There are some lilacs in our communal garden, which our gardener seems reluctant to cut back after flowering. He favours the jungle look, and I have to 'remind' him to prune on several occasions.
    I think it is a little late for the lilac, but I think I will be out there tomorrow with my loppers.
  • just read the link re eagles in S. Scotland. Nature takes its course however unusual, hopefully the remaining eagles will settle down and find their place in the territory they've been located to.
  • Evening all: Nice day here; nothing to report but yes, we need time and energy for a garden and isn't it nice that most of the time Mother Nature is so forgiving of our efforts.

Take care everyone.