LOCH ARKAIG (The Woodland Trust) - AUGUST 2019

Link to July 2019 thread 

The 2 chicks were ringed on 4 July and assessed as female. They were given ring numbers JJ0 and JJ2, and later named by popular vote as Mallie and Rannoch. Both weighed 1.49kg on ringing but will weigh a lot more now after a further month's-worth of protein-packed-piscine-parenting.  The WT subsequently said they thought Mallie may be male. S/he fledged on 20 July and Rannoch on 27 July.

Link to webcam, courtesy of The Woodland Trust

• Before I go...

First in is (starving) Rannoch, she's now waiting at the back of the nest looking towards Louis's tree:

• Mike B said:
    No one in sight but there is screaming going on......On camera perch??

Correct Mike....someone, and I suspect Rannoch, has been around for over an hour,,,and even appeared on the nest for a time.
    At times even two osprey calls have been heard.

Morning All Slight smile

• No sounds off now and nobodyin sight
  • Mike's picture, at 07.34, has a very good view of Rannoch's "beard" which Mallie doesn't have. Ian
  • I don't want to hurry this nests birds on their way, but looking at the weather window ahead,,,,I think I see a window of opportunity of very much more favourable migrating winds from about the 25th Aug for a number of days.,,,so don't be surprised if all of a sudden we are back to an ENS period before the next week is out.

I can def say, this nest, this year, has presented one of the most enjoyable seasons of Osprey watching I have ever followed.
    Aila and Louis, you have done your species proud. You have shown your individual great characters, your parenting has been brilliant, and you have been a joy to watch.
    Mallie and Rannoch appear to have great character too, look awesome birds, and look to have been well taught on the needs needed for survival. I hope to see you back in a couple of years.
    Bon voyage and God speed to Aila, Louis, Mallie and Rannoch... Stay safe and hope to see you all again.

• 12.42, Mallie arrives on the nest followed by Louis with a whole flatfish. Rannoch is nowhere to be seen. Ian

EDIT - Rannoch is only 13 minutes late, arriving at 12.55. Mallie scarpers with the fish.

• 15.15, both juves on the nest when Louis brings in a very nice whole fish, after a free for all Mallie gets it. Shortly after the fish gives a flap & Rannoch spots a chance to steal it but Mallie flies off with it. Mallie seems to have had nearly all the fish brought in during Sunday & Monday. Ian
  • First fish of the day went to Mallie, with Rannoch nowhere to be seen (as reported):

Oops!

(Sorry for the luridity of the above, I didn't untick the "improvers" whe downsizing the snaps.)

Poor Rannoch turned up far too late :'(

A lovely not-flat fish from Louis, and despite Rannoch's preparedness and anxiety, Mallie gets it yet again (I bet she lost that flounder).  Where has Rannoch's short-lived mojo gone?

Rannoch was there in good time this time:

Fab FISH !!!

But it was Mallie who got the fish again and she, after resisting some half-hearted attempts at theft by Rannoch, flew off with it:

Rannoch is waiting:

This morning I did some silly snaps, as if nothing better to do!

Rannoch was in a tiz from the get-go:

Her beard :)