MANTON BAY – JULY 2019

Link to previous thread:   Manton Bay – June 2019

The season so far:   Maya arrived back 14 March and Blue 33(11) on 23 March.  Maya laid 4 eggs 2, 5, 8 and 11 April hatching 11, 11, 13 and 17 May.   The four chicks were ringed on 21 June as follows:  #1 Blue 054 (F), #2 Blue 055 (M), #3 Blue 056 (M) and #4 Blue 057 (F).   Further details of their vital statistics can be found here.    

Link to Webcam\Copyright:  © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

• A huge fish which will no doubt circle the nest. 056 returned and has snaffled the stringy innards.....oh no. Definitely having to stretch and throw his head back to swallow. A few screenshots but I’m out for most of the day.  Fingers crossed.

• Morning All - thanks for updates and captures

As reported fish delivered and one juvie getting tucked in while one sits waiting and the other at the front who I am assuming is 056 seems to have an end piece and is still struggling to swallow as Jane's description above.   

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

056 at the front, has now flown.  Looking at his throat, there is no sign of any fresh blood.  

• Just having a quick catch up on the train, assisted by a young man loading the webcam up on his super doopa mobile. I’m sure it is 056 eating on the front of the nest because of all the stretching and throwing it’s neck back to swallow. He’s been there chomping for some time. No grabs.
  • What luck, JANE - I'm creating a romance out of it ;)

I haven't checked in at all this morning yet but this gull caught my eye a couple of minutes ago.

Just in case {{{CLARE}}} pops in - it only stayed a second:

Now we have Maya with fish and 2 juvies on the nest.

IMAGICAT

• Manual refresh brought up a juvie eating on the nest, but immediately it went black again.

Familiar? ;)

IMAGICAT

• OHHHHH!  I just found my post in the Dyfi thread!  Here's hoping it copies over:

CATCHUP from WAKEUP

Spider has been a nuisance as usual:

057 wakes up:

Got up:

She had some blurry flaps 'n prances and looked happy:

And pretty:

No-one came to see her so she flew:

Then there were ons 'n offs by singletons who couldn't be ID'd in the nightcam, nor in daycam by me!

None of them looked empty-cropped:

One:

Two:

Three:

Then they dispersed:

After being "scared" off:

The gull buzzed the returned osprey:

This one had a lovely prance about, surely must have been 057:

This male was apparently bloodless and got buzzed by that gull!

Then osprey with stick (must it have been Blue33?) pursued by that gull!

I think it was Maya, she was joined by 2 juvies expecting fish:

Make that 3 juvies but they didn't all stay:

FISH !!! !!! !!!

I think there was a tug-o-fish going on and someone was cross ;)

One ended up with a peaceful feed:

Maya came and took away the fish:

This must be 056, he's just finished a happy dance:

Maya returned with some fish and fed a couple of juvies one-by-one:

Then Blue33 flew in to defend:

A single juvie ate some fish on its own, then blackage, and ENS ever since:

=================

It was a long, frustrating wait before all 4 juvies were on the nest, I was getting really worried.

Here's an unedited clip from the feed which hopefully includes some informative bits:

IMAGICAT

• Thanks Scylla for the captures / vid. Can see 056 still struggling. Just hope he can dislodge whatever it is quickly or if a cut, then it heals.

Just now Maya has paid a visit and looking around. I read of one but haven't seen her bring in any fish yet.

Now one juvie, 057 appears and Maya flies off

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

057 has now flown - ENS

• That fish in the video is ginormous! Thanks scylla