We carry on in the absence of dearest EJ (RIP):

Courtesy of MIKE but he may not remember this particular wet morning ;-*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No-one seen overnight.

DAYCAM 03:55

We had a Stonechat !!!

It came back again and again to the same perch, this is one example:

And another:

Then it chose a different perch !!!  Sensational ;)

One outage:

That's up to 14:25.

IMAGICAT

• You are missing my point Valerie!!

For one - in earlier posts I actually wrote that I hoped they scraped out the nest and put some twigs around it making it more attractive and habitable to attract a new young pair. IMO, it should have been done at the start of the season as I recall Richard Thaxton doing pre-season work.

Two - I am well aware of who Roy Dennis is and of his work and expertise and I would not question his opinions - something else I wrote earlier, actually in the same post when mentioning overhauling nest.

Three - I am not complaining about the cam being removed. I am only pointing out that this tower PTZ cam can zoom in on the nest without causing any disturbance to the osprey and if it was zoomed in now and again, then we could make some observations.

Personally, I would like to see a close up of the nest and I am entitled to my opinion, as are you, for I am interested if it is indeed the same ospreys hanging around and to know next year when hopefully there is a pair, if it was any of these we are seeing just now thru observations.
  • I think that RSPB missed an opportunity here - if they had simply tidied the nest to look like an osprey nest they could have waited a couple of weeks for any developments and then, if none, removed the cam.

We cannot now know which 'change' (if either, and it could have been pure coincidence) brought ospreys to the nest.

(BTW, I got the impression that Roy Dennis did not strongly recommend removal of the cam, it was more "that's something you could try".  It might have been that the writer didn't realise one could get that impression from what they wrote.)

KAREN posted:

...this tower PTZ cam can zoom in on the nest without causing any disturbance to the osprey and if it was zoomed in now and again, then we could make some observations.  

(And you do know, Karen, that it's all your fault everyone has to put up with my mauvy quotes ;) )

Whilst it's good to see if ospreys are in the near vicinity, it's surely more important that they use the nest, and as you say observations would be valuable for this and next season.

IMAGICAT

• My cam went into a buffer @ 10:01 and, because I had disabled the auto-refresher due to it taking too long to complete on the PTZ stream, it stayed like that all day until I manually refreshed @ 15:45-ish :(

EDIT - changed auto-refresher to one that seems to go faster, we'll see.  Now on 15-minutely.

IMAGICAT

• Can I ask why the close nest camera was removed ..
  • On advice from Roy Dennis, the UKs leading osprey expert in case it was that that was worrying the birds
  • NIGHTCAM 23:03 (vague)

It's getting light:

IMAGICAT

• DAYCAM 03:50

Brightened and sharpened a bit.  Empty :(  I've got my left eye on it, but have been disappointed by some white buffer circles pretending to be ospreys.

IMAGICAT

• A cloud and sunshine sort of day

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/