DAILY UPDATES - Loch Garten nest - MAY 2019

The silence is deafening, not least because we haven't even had sound* for a week or two, let alone an osprey on the nest.

*This is to reduce demand on the bandwidth, along with turning off the Feeder cam stream.  It seems that the reason for the reduced bandwidth cannot yet be fathomed.

But who knows what the month of May will bring?  First-time returners are due and there are reports of ospreys flying up thru the country.  Hang in here, everyone!

Carnyx Channel page ~ click LIVE NOW

But it hasn't always been so live:

Then back:

• Hi CatLady,
    Really? Is this 40-year-empty-now-occupied nest & tree this close to LG? I feel ignorant.

And wondering at that nest surviving 40 years? Some maintenance must have been done on it, no?

Well, let's be patient some more. It may pay off in the end... #fingerscrossedstill

2016: first time in history an Osprey nested in the NL. 2018: 2 active nests! 2019 a storm interferes. 2020: a third active nest in a tree! 

• @OM and Thanks to 25 Mac for bringing info forward from FB.

Wonderful news after40 years.I was hoping that Tigers

Ospreys News Bulletins would have more info, particularly as he had commented. Maybe later today we will learn more.

• It's been horrible scrollng thru, the pixels are so unstable.

I can't ID this little bird, not no-how:

It's been raining but I don't think it is now.

• Hi scylla. He does look quite finchy and also quite stripey. A humbug finch? I can't really see his beak that well and it doesn't look that fine but I might plump for a meadow pipit and wait to be shot down in flames. 2nd guess - a siskin? His legs aren't long enough for a pipit...??

• There were 22 osprey nests in Scotland in 1978.  11  failed. 

• I wonder if an empty nest qualifies as a failed nest?

• My best guess on the little one would be a recently fledged crossbill.
    I donlt think so Scylla - I think you need 2 birds on a nest attempting to breed and not succeeding = a fail.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Hi OM, the news was on Facebook from A9 birds. The A9 is the start of the main road from up in my neck of the woods (Caithness) down to Inverness and onto Perth. I am unsure of the actual area where A9 birds cover but Aviemore, where they give us all the updates re the Osprey's fishing etc, is only 10 miles from Loch Garten. Again unsure where this nest is, that has been used for the first time in 40 years, but will be probably be in or around the same area.

Hopefully there is still hope for the LG nest, but from what I read, I think by mid month, that would be about the timeline for something to happen!

This is the A9 Birds Facebook link ( I am not on facebook but you can view lots, keep hitting not now, to set up an account) - A piece about dear EJ (scroll down to the entry on 19th April) down the page a bit and the 40 year old nest being used at the top.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/a9birds

Another link about A9 birds, for anyone intersted, actually sounds really good!

http://www.a9birds.com/

Bet you wished you had not asked now OM!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Hi Catlady. There is another Osprey nest about 2 km from the LG nest which has been used for many years. If I remember correctly in about 2003 or 2004 a male intruder at LG, Red 8T was identified as being hatched at this closest nest to LG.,

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Hi CRinger, yes I knew about that nest as well, maybe that is where our EJ had been when she lId eggs that were not her resident partners, she was know to be a bit of a Lady!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.