OSPREY CHAT - March/April 2019

(I can't find any Chat thread since December, I will delete this if I've erred.)

Some wonderful Osprey photos taken by a blogger on Long Island Beach:

Helen G gave a link to some skydancing photos, and then exploring a few more pages revealed some gems I'm sure we will all enjoy, especially this one:

Conflict !!!

You can use the small arrows on the right margin to check out other pages.

• SheilaFE said:

Not really Osprey chat at all, but folk on the LG forum might be interested in following this up to better the Community, of which we are a part.

I filled it in last night Sheila Thumbsup

• Not sure where to post this.. I def saw an Osprey today .  Alas no pics as was driving on a narrow road with view to water , bad corner, could not stop 

and def Osprey circling.  Suffice to say there are areas within a 9 to 13 mile radius of my sighting  where nests could be that are not public

Regards 

S

• This is a perfect place to put your post Sheena! How wonderful for you! Better do a return trip!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I have come across some info which might be indicative of why so many ospreys are later than their expected return date.  

Clyde Muirshiel project -

Tag-n-Track (TnT) is using the latest technology to track birds locally and globally. This project is funded by Heritage Lottery Fund, Greater Renfrewshire and Inverclyde LEADER & Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park and started on the 9th of January 2016. It will run until December 2018.

One of the species we will be tagging and tracking is the Lesser Black-backed Gull. They are a much maligned species, most people viewing them as chip-stealing pests. However, are you aware that some of these UK amber listed birds (due to fewer individuals over a limited range) actually migrate to Europe and Africa in the winter time and then back to the UK in the summer?  The project will be using solar-powered Global Satellite Monitoring (GSM) tags fitted to the birds with harnesses which collects data between 10-15 times a day.

On their FB page there is an interesting post on Gary who I assume is a LBBG, which has a map of his migration route.

GARY UPDATE
    We haven't heard from Gary for a week and we must admit we were getting a bit worried.  It's been very windy with strong northerlys which had put a halt on our gulls migrations. However, we came into a update from Gary this morning and we can now see why we haven't heard from him. He has spent the last seven days in the Bay of Biscay away from mobile phone reception. After his last update on the morning of the 21 March, where he was on the north western tip of Spain, he travelled east along the coast to Valdoviño where he was picked up at 20.25hrs. He then left the coast of Spain and travelled east towards France across the Bay of Biscay.  Last year it took him roughly 9 hours to get to France, this year it took 6 and a half days.  At one point he looked to be heading towards Mimizam south of Bordeaux before heading north west back out into the Bay. We suspect the wind has had a big effect on his flight pattern. At times we can see he has had long periods of up to 12 hours in roughly the same area which suggests he has been resting on the sea.  He finally flew into France yesterday morning (28 March) around 08.00hrs   He certainly deserves a rest and we are glad to see he has had the reserves to make this journey as he may have struggled to find food over the last few days.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I don't understand "delaying incubation" after an egg is laid. I know Maya did it one year, and is the only time I have heard of it, and recall her not sitting during the night but I think she did sit on the eggs at times??

Could someone please explain this process.

Thanks in advance
  • Hi Karen, I think peregrines don't sit on the eggs full time initially, the below is from David Shaw Wildlife on chichesterperegrines.co.uk. Could be the same for osprey.
    "First egg at 13.33 today…….quite normal not to sit on eggs until we have full clutch of four so don’t worry if egg left alone ……" Ian

• Karen, I found this snippet on the Dyfi site.

'Sometimes the first egg laid is not incubated, or it may be partially incubated, until the second/third is laid. This is an evolutionary strategy ensuring that the whole clutch hatch closer together than the timeframe (usually six days for three eggs) they were laid, giving all the chicks a greater chance of survival.'

www.dyfiospreyproject.com/.../facts-about-osprey-lifecycles
  • I believe Telyn did much the same last year. She didn't full time incubate until a couple of eggs had been laid.
    This means that all eggs will hatch at about the same time.
    Peregrines generally lay 4 eggs, but won't start full time incubation until the third egg has been laid.
    Up to this point they will sit on the eggs to keep them warmish if the temp drops too much, mainly at night.

Richard B

• Thanks Korky ... makes sense. Also thanks for the link - what a great facts sheet :-)

Richard - thanks also for your reply