OSPREY CHAT - March/April 2019

(I can't find any Chat thread since December, I will delete this if I've erred.)

Some wonderful Osprey photos taken by a blogger on Long Island Beach:

Helen G gave a link to some skydancing photos, and then exploring a few more pages revealed some gems I'm sure we will all enjoy, especially this one:

Conflict !!!

You can use the small arrows on the right margin to check out other pages.

IMAGICAT

• It think the theory is that by having a short gap between each hatching ensures,as far as possible, the minimum size difference between chicks and thus evens out their chances of survival when competing for food. If the first chick was way ahead it could well lead to problems.
  • Karen W said:
    Thanks Korky ... makes sense. Also thanks for the link - what a great facts sheet :-)

It occurs to me that you might not have this link - the mother and father of all links osprey-related, 'The Osprey News Bulletin', courtesy of Chloe B and Tiger and a few other people too I think. You'll see it includes links to compendiums of news bulletins, right up to April 2019! It's worth a very good noodle around as you can find links to a lot of other stuff and fascinating facts on most of the osprey sites in the UK

• Thanks MIKE.

So now I wont worry about it being left for my worry was that once they had sat on the egg that incubation began and should they leave it then it could get chilled. But I suppose at the end of the day ... they know what they are doing.

I do appreciate all replies :-)
  • KORKY- actually I do have the link and frequently look at Tiger's Osprey News Bulletin as it is an invaluable source of information and so helpful especially when I've been out for the day.  But as you say, I really must have a good look around it:-)

But it is brilliant that you remembered about it and posted the link should anyone not know about it.

• Well that is the point. If people do not mention it there is no way we know if anyone is using it.

It helps if people give feedback.
  • There was a nice TV programme on the new BBC Scotland channel last night about the SSPCA rescue centre. It included two osprey that had been rescued. One rescued by the Border osprey project (looked like darvic blue LL something with a satellite tag) was released in time for migration, but the other (definitely darvic blue LM5) had an issue with one leg and was going to be cared for over the winter before being released. I can't see any reference to LM5 in the list of darvic rings and couldn't identify the full number of the LL ring, (any LL listed is not noted as having a satellite tag) so can't see any further information. Ian
  • LL ring numbers were used from Tweed Valley  2018.  Blog here  Osprey Season 2018   Scroll down to Tweed Valley Project Area Summary

"The Darvic ring numbers that were used for this year’s osprey young for the Tweed Valley project area are LK7, LK8, LK9, LL0, LL4, LL5, LL6, LL7, LL8, and LL9. All are blue with white lettering. We will continue to update the news with details of the tracked ospreys once they start migration."

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• This, also from the TV site;

Tweedledum rescued and taken to SSPCA. 

The Environment team for the Tweed Valley Osprey Project continued to monitor the main nest after the season closed. They were alarmed to discover that one of the main nest chicks, Tweedledum (LL7), was spending far too much time back at the nest site, was not feeding properly, and eventually was weakened to the state of being flightless. The decision was made to recover the bird and take him to the SSPCA at Fishcross for assessment and treatment. There, he was examined by a vet and given a full health scan. He was found to be underweight, with a few broken tail feathers. After a short period of TLC, and after being fed with lots of fish to gain strength and aid recovery, Tweedledum was released back at the nest site.

(He eventually migrated).

• Thanks for the additional information Sheila and Korky. Ian
  • JaneV - there have been several four chick nests over the years.   White UF's last season at Balgavies in 2016 produced four healthy chicks (all unringed) so no way of knowing if they survived.     Threave in Dumfries and Galloway also had a four chick nest.   

Here is one of Darren's photos of them.  

KAREN SAID

I know it is a long time ago, but I have never forgotten Errol's story for the little Tweed Valley chick was named after Errol Flynn because of his swashbuckling fiestiness and was the pluckiest little chick I have ever seen. He pushed his way in for his share of fish and also was very smart cleaning up so thrived. Many times they feared for his life as he took many beatings from the older chicks but it was in fact Errol who started the fights causing havoc in the nest. TV released a DVD which included highlights and the story of the 2005 nest. He really was quite the superstar.

-----------------------

Karen - That is an interesting story about Tweed Valley in 2005 - It is a shame that they don't have that DVD available for sale now.  I have been going down there since 2011 and never seen it for sale.    I was down at Glentress in March this year, and they have added a very thick folder packed full of the History of the Tweed Valley Ospreys.   

This is the information they have about 2005.   So it must have been the back up nest that they had four chicks on...

The photo on the front cover was Blue LK hatched 2009.   He also intruded at Loch Garten in April 2013.