Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 17 June 2018

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY SOLSTICE! 

The Solstice occurs on 21 June. I hope everyone has a great week and a wonderful summer (a wonderful winter for AQ)!

Purple Galanule, Everglades National Park, Florida USA
National Park Service/Rodney Cammauf
Photo labeled Public Domain (Copyright Free)

• It was called "Earth: One Amazing Day" and was on BBC2 on Saturday night.  I've not watched it yet but have read since it was on, that it includes some famous bits of film such as the time the geckos were chased by the snakes 

• Thanks LINDY.

OG, I missed your post  last evening, sorry. Welcome home!

• AQ: Re the churches, I still prefer the Quorn St. Matthew's style over the modern designs.  What's the stone used for St. Matt's - local I assume. I was wondering if that fill-in arch on the side was formerly a door or a design accent?  You see a lot of old, filled-in stuff in the really old churches/castles back home...

Lindybird: Hope the weather is kind in Wales.

Heather: This pad doesn't even do chair duty - it's just a three-fold foam thingy, but actually quite comfortable  Will you take your tablet/computer with you or will you  have quite enough to do (sounds like the latter)?

Daughter is now enjoying the peace and quiet at my house (sigh); granddaughter and Ms D went out for an early hike.  Just me and the workmen here...

• I keep dipping in, because I've been busy.

Dibnlib: sorry about your brother, that's worrying.

Annette: You must be nearing the home straight now.

OG: Glad everything worked out for your mini break.

AQ: That church does look surprisingly modern. Hope you get some rain soon.

I've been out to a garden centre and bought a couple of small pots, not for plants! - we'll take them to Wales and fill them with sand. Then they will act as holders for some ornamental solar lights I bought recently. I also put in some cheerful geraniums by our front driveway, at least they won't mind being neglected if we're away. Our sweet peas are doing well and I'm able to pick some to enjoy their sweet scent in the house.

• Hi!  Been unpacking and feeding washing machine all day!  Said I would tell you about our visit on the way home yesterday – actually under 10 miles into the journey!  We saw it on the OS map – a country park type place centred round Loch Ore, called Lochore Meadows, I imagine it was an example of the old Coal Board restoring land for recreational use.  It is just over the hill behind RSPB Vane Farm/Loch Leven.  We didn’t have time to walk right round the Loch, or even to its nature reserve on the far side,  but we did enjoy a walk beside the water, and found various boating activities relaxing to watch.  We also happened upon a Newfoundland Dog Club, who regularly bring their dogs for water training there.  We chatted with one couple and their 7 month-old “puppy” (weight 7 stone!) and then went for lunch, but afterwards watched them in the water (the owners don wetsuits and go in with the dogs.)

I don’t think I shall attempt to answer all your posts, but good to catch up-to-date with your news and happenings!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Annette - Quorn St Matthew’s was built with local freestone. Freestone, so named as it has fine grain and is easy to cut and shape. The filled-in arch, together with the jutting stones at corners, was deliberate. Often seen on our country churches, built in stages, as the congregation struggled to raise money. They were planning ahead for future expansion. St Matthew’s had 2 building phases (1897 & 1901) and newspaper reports they had kept stone for a further extension – which never happened. It is so sad to read of the enthusiasm & high hopes and then see how many churches are now run down or closed due to falling congregations. Some due to modern indifference, but families are smaller, farms are bigger, less workmen as machines assist. BTW I had missed noting that St Matthew’s was a Mallyon church. W K Mallyon was a country bank manager who designed about 30 Anglican churches free of charge. Three have been demolished. I have photo-ed 17.

• AQ: I like the warm looks of Freestone. Mallyon sounds like an interesting character.

• Hi, Limpy! Nice to see you!

That's a beautiful bird that was discovered at Minsmere! I was fascinated by that blog post, so I had to do some research.

Apparently, there are several species of Purple Swamphens (genus: Porphyrio) in the Rail family (Rallidae) in different parts of Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and the Western Hemisphere. They're all closely related and look very similar -- with variations.

The bird in my photo can be found in South America, Central America, the Caribbean, and as far north as Florida and the Gulf Coast. The correct name (and spelling) for our bird is now: Purple Gallinule, but when I was in Florida, people still called them Purple Moorhens.

Here's what's astonishing: the little fellas are awkward flyers -- like chickens -- but the different types of Purple Swamphens can mysteriously show up far away from their usual territories, even on different continents.

I learn something new every day! Thanks for posting Limpy. Best wishes to you and Clare. 

• AQ: Beautiful churches. I looked at your Flickr page. Why did the recent churches have such sharply pitched roofs? We have tall, pitched roofs here so the deep snow won't accumulate on them and make them collapse. But I don't think you all have snow? Lovely photos. You're very talented.

• OG: Welcome back. I'm so glad that you had a very nice trip. I love Newfoundland dogs!

Lindy: I hope you have a safe, enjoyable holiday away!

Heather: I'll be thinking of you. I hope your week away goes well for you and the entire family!!! Best wishes to all!

Annette: I hope the rest of the work will go smoothly and you can head home soon. 

DibnLib: Sorry about your brother's condition. Hope he improves.

Rosy: It was nice to see you. 

Take care, everyone. Very, very hot here. The feels-like temp was 102F or 38.9C with high, tropical humidity. Actual temp was around 95F or 35C.