DAILY UPDATE ~ Loch Garten nest ~ Monday, 07 May 2018

EJ predictably has been dedicated to incubating her three eggs. Our wild card this year is a young male. I believe our opportunity is to watch him learning (or if he will learn) and to observe EJ's wisdom in these matters.  Thank you to Tiger for the reminder that cam watchers have experienced the same angst as we are currently with EJ. At the moment she is, also predictably, tucked in, dreaming of fish, or Africa, or maybe a good mate. © RSPB - Loch Garten and Carnyx Wild

Imagicat || Tiger's links || 2022 LG Obs

• It's so heartbreaking.. computer on 24/7 but don't think I can watch anymore.. poor Gorgeous EJ

• Knowing that Alison has said we may repost comments, I thought this was interesting from her not long ago. In answer to a question "Fastly approaching two days since she had a meal how common is this?", she responded:

"It is not normal in establish osprey partnerships, but for all we know it may happen often in new pairings like this - we just don't know.  It is a learning curve for us all.  If EJ is starving she will go and fish for herself if George is not providing for her.  When George first arrived and did not provide a fish for a few days, she flew down to the ground quite often to drink water from the pools in the bog below the nest.  On one of my evening shifts I watched her fly down and her head was just visible through the trees and undergrowth drinking.  She probably did that this afternoon when she was off the eggs for about 5 minutes, so that will keep her going at the moment."

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• EJ remains quietly sitting. No visitors. Still a good breeze blowing, but it's dry with sunshine and cloudy spells. No change to report :o(

• As painful as it would be, if she abandoned her eggs at this point to go fishing who would blame her. The eggs would be vulnerable to predation of course. Last year she eventually went fishing after Odin had left, and all the chicks starved on the nest. The RSPB staff got a a lot of flack for not provisioning the nest, as is their policy. I don't want a repeat of that. And despite Dennis, I've no confidence in George.

• Unknown said:
    The RSPB staff got a a lot of flack for not provisioning the nest

I thought the abuse they got was diabolical.  They had to live through that, and face all their visitors.  The RSPB is NOT there to make money from the birds.  It is there to make accessible what would otherwise be out of so many people's reach - and to protect the birds from human interference.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• EJ was calling just now. Does she GJ?

Another lovely gloaming.

• An early break when she took off (blurredly) in at an unusual angle:

(Well I dunno, something struck me at the time of scrolling thru ;) )

Raindrops kept falling on her head :'(

moffer said:

For the sake of brevity, much calling from EJ has  been omitted - sometimes she seemed to be almost submissive.

moffer said:

Scylla, just after the cam post, the intruder tied to land on the nest again. Legs seen, and flying away

I don't have it, Moffer :(  Browser refresh took a long time to recover :'(

IMAGICAT

• EJ looks up at a noisy light aircraft

She turns in to golden girl :o)

Radio Chaffinch has been playing all day. The Cuckoo is back now.

Good night all.

• Scylla, just after the cam post, the intruder tied to land on the nest again. Legs seen, and flying away

• night night EJ if not tomorrow?? !!