WEEKLY CHAT (non-osprey) SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 18 2016

And it's a new week. 

Check the last page of last week's thread for Lindybird's "Ode to a (Dirty?) Kitchen"   :-)

• Nice to hear from you, Lynette. We are cruising in the Mediterranean.

Dibnlib:  When we booked our hols, my OH had one eye on the calendar!  ;-)    But he didn't want to leave his sisters and cousins with all the work to do. We are off to dinner with Awful Cousin tomorrow night, which should not be too arduous!

Went shopping and took my OH, who I later found in earnest conversation with someone he knows, talking about some old friends of ours who have moved from a beautiful house and garden, and into the centre of the town. They now have a lovely old house (Grade II listed) with a tiny town garden and noisy neighbours -  and they hate it!  Oh, dear. They are getting on in years and probably thought it would be nice to be at the heart of things, but it can be a mistake.

• LINDY   Sorry to hear your friends aren't too happy with their move. The friends who came a couple of weeks ago live in beautiful  listed building in a tiny village in Fife. Think the whole village is listed so it may actually be a conservation village.  It sounds idillic but like your friend they are now seeing the drawbacks. My schoolfriend is 59 and her OH 10 years older.  When they visit us and see that we have a good bus service into town and a few shops in easy walking distance (at the moment), they realise what they haven't got, but then we haven't got a lovely listed building!!!

• Thanks for the info Lindy - we hope to go on a cruise within the next couple of years but will just have to see how the shares go!!!!

That sounds as though it was a bad move for those old friends of yours - no its not always a good thing. Do hope they can get peace of mind before too long.

Work on our listed home is due to begin again the first week in October, virtually a year after it was halted due to no planning permission to carry out the work plus the fact that the new landlord was broke. Left our family home in a right state but just hope he turns up and the work is carried out. Will have to wait and see.  a couple or so pics of how it was left last year.

this was the bathroom or what was left of it

the hallway stripped back to the bare flagstones

this was the side wall covering the bathroom at the top

and this is what we called "the den" stripped back to bare brick and what looks like a place for a bread oven or some such thing.  All that was left original was the kitchen, living room and my brother's bedroom. The rest of the house had been stripped back and in some rooms plasterboard had been put up and that's as far as it went until the new landlord was stopped in his tracks.