Balgavies Loch Ospreys

Since the osprey threads tend to be here...these are the ospreys nesting at one of our local lochs (nice view of the nest from the hide too!).

• With so many of you recommending Balgavies, I really ought to try to visit next year.  I sounds an idyllic place to spend a few hours watching osprey.  Perhaps Blue YD will be back next year too!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Tiger, Mary GK - glad you enjoyed the pics taken at Balgavies Loch.

Mary GK - there was man in the hide who recommended Kinnordy but unfortunately we didn't have time that day - perhaps next week though!

Roberto - look forward to seeing your photos

Sheila FE - I'm sure you would enjoy it - worth visiting.

• Glad you like our reports Mary!  I've been enjoying watching the ospreys and watching them progress!  

Sheila - it is well worth a visit!  As Mary has said Loch of Kinnordy is also a great place to visit.  There used to be peregrines breeding at St Cyrus nature reserve too though I haven't spotted them for a while.  And if you like something a bit on the scaley side Loch Lee/Queens Well is great for spotting slow worms, common lizards and adders!

• Unknown said:

MaryGK: I really enjoyed the visit. I'm reviewing tons of pictures taken in approx 20 RSPB and SWT reserves during my holiday and I'm still in the first part of my journey, but had a quick look forward at Balgavies Loch days and I believe some other decent shots do exist, I'll post them. It's not usual to see ospreys so closely without paying high fees and you can get nice pictures even with a consumer-level camera there.

The juvenile was probably just figuring out how to enter and get out of the water without harm - no surface scanning before, no steep dives, no sudden changes in direction, no "go-arounds" after missing the target - but it was a pleasure to see and I guess that's part of ospreys' "body of knowledge" :-)

WOW Roberto 20 RSPB & SWT Reserves, you really are packing a lot in.    Looking forward to seeing more of your photographs.   Maybe you should start a thread in the Main Community about all of your visits, I am sure it would be very well received by everyone. 

• SheilaFE said:

With so many of you recommending Balgavies, I really ought to try to visit next year.  I sounds an idyllic place to spend a few hours watching osprey.  Perhaps Blue YD will be back next year too!

Sheila it is well worth a visit.   Blue YD may be around there this year for all we know, it was such a shame that we lost the signal from his tracker just when he was almost at the end of his migration, he could still be in Yorkshire, or anywhere but I would like to think that he is somewhere in the Angus area and wouldn't it be wonderful if he was sighted. 

• Kat Tai - It is great that you are local to this reserve and that you are getting to follow the Osprey's as they progress, so I am grateful to get your reports especially as I only managed to get there maybe 5 or 6 times during my 5 day visit in April.     Think I need to schedule in more trips there LOL....

Granny Smith - There is always plenty to see at Loch of Kinnordy, we managed to see an Osprey there twice this year, although both times it was being mobbed by corvids.     Funny as the Lapwings were chasing the crows, always smaller birds chasing the larger ones.   Lots of waders and fowl there too. 

• "Think I need to schedule in more trips there LOL....

Mary it is questionable given your busy summer schedule!! LOL.

• Got to pack in as many Osprey VC's as possible Mike LOL....  

Although I have not heard of any Ospreys at next weeks location, but it won't stop me looking :-)

• Unknown said:

Mary GK - there was man in the hide who recommended Kinnordy but unfortunately we didn't have time that day - perhaps next week though!

Granny Smith - I hope you get to visit both places next week and come back and post about it.     I posted on Osprey Sightings asking if you were still seeing your Local Ospreys, hope you are!

• I have copied over ALLISON W's photo's on to this thread.

• Just returned to my home in Devon after another trip to Scotland.I have been visiting Balgavies Loch for a few years now as its great to see the Ospreys.I spend hours there just watching the wildlife so I thought you might appreciate some of the pics I have taken.