• My Week at Frampton Marsh

Howdy folks! Chris here, but not the author of this blog. Instead I am turning over the reins to Abby. She is a Boston College student who has spent the week with us on work experience. Let's see what she has to say...

------------------------

Hello, my name is Abby. I’m a Boston college student studying travel and tourism. I came to Frampton Marsh for a week of work experience.  I have always been interested…

• Camera Trapping Event - a review

Howdy folks!

Last Saturday saw the inaugural camera trapping event at the reserve. How did it go? I will let Paige tell you...

----------------------------------

Hello everyone! I am Paige, the Conservation intern at the reserve. We have recently put together a new event at the reserve called ‘Introduction to Camera Traps’. The event first ran on Saturday and was fully booked with six attendees. Since it was the first…

• Frampton Marsh sightings: 1 - 15 January 2020

Howdy folks! Apologies for thelack of sightings blogs recently. The Christmas break and staff leave did cause a bit of a hiatus. But Poppy has been slaving away, creating another bumper two week package. So let's see what she has for us...

--------------------------

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! Even it is somewhat belated. But here we have the first blog of the decade. Apologies for the delay in getting this…

• Can you dig it?

There is a fair amount of work doing on at Frampton at the moment, as we work to improve the site. Lots to get done before the busy migration and breeding seasons start and the disturbance would be too much. This does mean that over the next week or two there will be a certain amount of things going on around the reserve, which may impact upon your visit.

The work on new fencing around the scrapes and grassland to the…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 27 November - 11 December 2019

Here is another bumper sightings blog from Poppy!

---------------------------------------------------

Hello, and welcome to the latest #RSPBFrampton sightings blog! Apologies for the delay in getting this out…but that means a bumper edition!

We have had lots of rain over the past few weeks, especially around the end of November. That hasn’t stopped the birds and wildlife though. On the 29 December whooper…

• Remember your wristband!

Starting this month, we are asking our visitors to Frampton Marsh to make sure they pop into the visitor centre when they arrive. The reason being that we are rolling out entry wristbands for visitors.

Many RSPB sites (and wildlife trust, National Trust, and many other similar organisations) use some form of identification to show when visitors have been through the welcome desk. It helps determine visitor numbers, and…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 14 - 20 November 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to another sightings blog by Poppy. Lets see what she has for us this week...

--------------------------------------------

A very wet Thursday started off the sightings week for us here at RSPB Frampton. So, there wasn’t much to report on the board, due to the lack of people about. The few that did brave the wet reported jack snipe and hen harrier.

Pomarine skua back on the reserve…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 31 October - 13 November

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. It is time for another double helping of sightings from Poppy!

----------------------------------------------

Hello folks and welcome back to the latest sightings blog. Another slight bumper edition to give you a flavour of what’s been about recently. The weather has definitely started changing, plenty of wet weather over here, but that hasn’t…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 17 - 30 October 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. Not with me, Chris the Visitor Guy, because we now have Poppy to write it for us instead. Hopefully she will soon be able to post direct, but in the meantime I have to put her blogs up for her. Let's see what she has to say in this double-sized bumper edition!

---------------------------------

Hello again folks! Apologies for the delay in getting…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog: 11-16 October 2017

Howdy folks! Time for Poppy to give us the latest reserve news...

-----------------------------------------------

Hello folks! Welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. For another week with me, Poppy. Recent highlights have included purple sandpiper, little stint, short-eared owl, spotted redshank, curlew sandpiper and great-white egret. Let’s get down to it, shall we?

Curlew sandpiper seemed…

• When Plastic Isn't Fantastic

Back in 2014, plastic waste along the shore of Frampton Marsh was a big issue. So much so that the Boston Wildlife Explorers group collected a massive 6 Kg of rubbish from just 100 metres of shoreline. And not all of it was small. Take a look at the ‘throwback’ picture. Can you see how much rubbish they collected? From bottles to tyres to… a TV!

Marine rubbish is seriously dangerous for the wildlife…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog: 10 October 2019

Howdy folks!

Apologies for the lack of sightings blogs over the last month or so. A combination of leave and illness have kept me from doing any. But fear not! Into the breach steps our newest residential volunteer, Poppy....

-----------------------------

Hello folks! Welcome back to what is now a bit of a catch-up sightings blog. With me, Poppy (alternatively to Chris!). I am the latest addition to the residential team…

• Turning a new page...

Howdy folks! Chris the Visitor Guy here. Introducing a new face you may be seeing around the reserve for the next six months. Paige has joined us as our new conservation intern. But I will shut up and let her talk about herself...

------------------------

Hi there! As the new Practical Conservation Intern and new addition to the warden team, I would like to introduce myself and give you some background information, since…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog 22 - 29 August 2019

Howdy folks! And welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

Apologies for the lack of a blog last week. Life was getting so hectic that I just couldn't squeeze the time in. Even over the weekend, when the reserve was heaving with both birds and visitors. Hello to the Leicester RSPB group who graced us with their presence on the Sunday. On the bright side, this does mean a…

• Last chance for summer fun!

There are just two weeks left of the summer holidays, doesn't time fly? Has your family been down to us to take part in some of our fun summer activities. if not, there is still time, but places are running out. Here is the remaining availability:

20 August - raft building - 11 am: FULL, 2 pm: 8 spaces 

21 August - pond dipping - 10 am: 4 spaces, 11 am: 5 spaces, 1 pm: 4 spaces, 2 pm: 6 spaces

22 August - bug hunting…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings: 2 - 15 August 2019

Howdy folks! Welcome back to a bit of a catch-up sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy. Slight technical issues last week, the system wouldn't let me sign in! But I am back with you now and normal service can be resumed.

And let's start with the highlight of the week, a first for the reserve! Not one with feathers though. Over the summer holidays we are running bug hunting sessions for children in the visitor…

• Frampton Marsh (and Freiston Shore) recent sightings: 26 July - 1 August 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the visitor guy.

Just to change things up a bit, we will start at Freiston Shore. Not least because the big tides this weekend could well lead there to be a great spectacle there. In face we even have a special walk on Sunday Lots of waders to be found there, including not one but two white-rumped sandpipers. They usually loiter near the reservoir…

• Toby's Tales - volume 3

Hi there!

Toby is back with another of his regular blog posts. Let's find out what he has been up to this week...

------------------------------------

Reaching 100 species with thanks to the Frampton Yankees

We said that high tides were heading our way over the course of the 18-21 July and boy they didn’t disappoint.

News broke midday on Friday that a long-billed dowitcher had been found by the top car park near…

• Frampton Marsh (and Freiston Shore) recent sightings blog: 19 - 25 July 2019

Howdy folks, and welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy. And this week, with added extra Freiston Shore goodies. Don't say I never treat you...

But focusing on Frampton Marsh to start with, this past week saw the return of a crowd favourite, who has entertained the masses at the reserve before. No, I'm not talking about Melvyn Prior from BBC Radio Lincolnshire. Though…

• Summer Fun Ahead

This is the first week of the summer holiday, and it looks set to be a bit of a scorcher. But do you have much planned to keep the little ones entertained over the six weeks of the summer holiday? Well, here at Frampton Marsh we can help.

Every day through the holidays your kids can join a quest with the Summer Knights treasure trail. Join Queen Wrenivere and the knights as they defend the nature reserve against evil…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog: 12 - 18 July 2019

Howdy folks! And welcome back to the Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog. With me, Chris the Visitor Guy!

Well, what do we have for you this week? Well, if spoonbills are your thing, you could well be in luck. There is a fairly regular 5 birds, including one that was colour-ringed in the Netherlands and done quite a journey since, that like to mooch about on the wet grassland between the scrapes and the sea bank. This…

• Toby's Tales - Volume 2

Welcome to the second edition of Toby's Tales, our residential volunteer's account of his summer working alongside us.

--------------------------------------------------

Toby’s Tales - Volume 2

Stunning Sunsets

Spending every evening after work birding round the reserve with finding the next rarity in the back of my mind does mean I have witnessed some spectacular sunsets this past week, which are made…

• Our Turtle Doves - a blog by Matt O'Connell

Matt, our summer conservation intrern here at Frampton Marsh, has been helping with some of the turtle dove tracking work carried out by RSPB scientists. Here he writes about the project

----------------------------------------

Our Turtle Doves

Europe’s only truly migratory dove and a real attraction during the summer here at Frampton. The turtle dove, however, is one of our fastest declining species, having lost over…

• Toby's Tales - volume 1

Each week our residential volunteer Toby will be letting know what he has been up to. Here we have the first of these regular blogs.

----------------------------------

Starting off with a bang…

So, here’s my first of what will become a weekly update about my jaunts and what I’ve been up to here on the reserve.

Hit the ground running…

This was the day of unpacking and getting settled in, but the…

• Frampton Marsh recent sightings blog: 5 - 11 July 2019 (in with the new)

Howdy folks! And welcome back to the new look Frampton Marsh sightings blog. Still with me, Chris the Visitor Guy.

As I explained last week we have been having a bit of a think about how to get the blogs and also Twitter to work better. Rather than having lots of daily maps that all say the same thing, we will be moving towards a weekly map. Don't worry, anything particularly exciting will of course get tweeted out as…