Dearne Ings (upstream of Darfield Bridge)

We went for a late afternoon walk at the weekend up the Dearne towards Edderthorpe Flash and had a look at the latest reserve area - not sure of the official name - but I've called it Dearne Ings; ie the area between Darfield and the new road to Grimethorpe/Park Springs.

The following photo is not a stream in the Yorkshire Dales but the new man-made rapid just up from Darfield Bridge. As I was taking the photo, a pair of nuthatches flew into and out of the hawthorn bush beside me - not more than 1m away. :-).

It was, as you can see in the photo, a wee bit snowy - the horizontal stripe of white is the line of the river flood bank.

We returned along the old railway embankment (mid left in the photo) back to the bridge. Some quite varied habitat with marshland, scrub, mature trees etc. Saw a kestrel, a flock of fieldfares and redwings, blackbirds, blue & great tits and, two great spotted woodpeckers! :-)

There is a nice tangle of swampy trees and bushes on the Little Houghton side of the railway embankment which looks like promising habitat.

I wondered what the plans are for the area - develop? leave as is? Would be interested to know.

Thanks

• Hi Bridgeman

The new rapid was put in by the Environment Agency. There is a programme of work - led by the Don Rivers Trust - to try and improve the connectivity of the Don and its tributories (including the Dearne). There are a number of weirs and obstacles that would stop an eel or other migratory fish from getting from sea to source and the Trust is trying to either remove or bypass all of these if they can (a long process).

We have worked with them at Old Moor and are supporting a programme of work on the river adjacent to our reserves to put in eel passes etc. In ten years time we hope the 50,000 eels that were stocked into Old Moor will be able to find their way to the see.

The rapid at Darfield is as part of this work. Looks just right for a Dipper!

The bit of promising habitat at Little Houghton is the land now managed by the RSPB. The initial habitat creation scheme was carried out by the Environment Agency before we took it on - mainly focussed on Water Vole.

As yet, we have not done much with the site as Adwick (which we took on at the same time) has been the bigger and more time consuming piece of work.

We will manage the site soon though. It is getting a little overgrown and will need some attention. Also a little more water retention will make it even better for species such as Snipe.

Watch this space

Regards

Matthew

• Hi there

Adwick is definitely open to the public. The work is largely done - we just need to polish a few edges so to speak.

There is a bridleway running through the middle and some nice circular walks. We are creating some permissive paths also so plenty of o0ptions.

There is also a central viewing point in the middle of the site.

It is different to Old Moor - more of a fantastic open wetland landscape to walk and blow away the cobwebs.

Have been some great birds on there this year and you can get directions from the visitor centre.

Let us know if you visit and what you think of the site

Regards

Matthew

• Thanks Matthew....though did you have to mention Dippers? It is a bit of a sore point with me as I have not seen one for 2 years despite going to 'Dippery' places....have others noted this 'lack' or is it just me not being there at the right time?

Re Adwick - it is looking good - we often go there and there is usually always something to see. Nice mix of habitats. :-)

• Sorry Bridgeman - and I can make it even worse by saying that they used to nest round the corner from my house.. I even had one one day stood on the bonnet of the neighbours car!

Re train station, Doggie. The best bet is Bolton on Dearne Station. where is it you live because there may be a little confusion over stations. There is a station at Adwick Le Street near Doncaster but not a station at Adwick Upon Dearne where the reserve is.

However, it is only a couple of minutes from Bolton on Dearne Station to Adwick reserve.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Matthew