Magpie City

It was magpie city at Old Moor on 25th November. Within 5 seconds of arriving at the Bittern Hide  three settled on the gate and were joined by a kestrel. 

It was quiet but not cold this time! I could not interpret the smoke signals from the volunteers who were working on site, but I suspect they meant 'bring

coffee'

Before getting a coffee for myself I stopped at the bird garden. Mostly the usual suspects were there (the birds not the people) plus a couple of interesting oddities. I'm not good on mouse/vole identification but this little one came to inspect the wood pile. Could someone tell me who the little beasty is please. 

Then I got a shot of the magpie and when I looked  at it later at home I realised that it had a deformed beak.   A bit of research suggested it may have  Avian Keratin Disorder , but I am sure someone will know  and put me straight.

( https://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gbw/about/news/latest/2013/goldfinch-claws)

I returned to the bittern hide to prepare for the starlings (would they do their thing this time?)  The light was staggering and the reeds had turned to gold. 

A got a couple of fleeting glimpses of  a kingfisher which reminded me of something I wrote earlier this year. 

The kingfisher arrives in his impossible blue preceded by his own urgent announcement.
He bobs. He falls.
Down to break the green mirror with a plop.
Returning to his perch he holds a small silver treasure fish.
Then with a deft elegance not afforded to Jonah and the whale,
The kingfisher juggles it's treasure until headfirst it is gone.

Eventually the starlings gathered but as last time I visited they were not in the mood for murmuring   - but we still got a lovely view of them against a lovely sky. Another excellent day out only spoiled by a puncture on the M1, in the dark, in freezing temperatures, at rush hour, with no hard shoulder.  But I survived.