Starling murmuration 01 November

Called in for the last hour today specifically in the hope of seeing the starlings - and I wasn't disappointed. Suffice to say my pictures do scant justice to the spectacle witnessed by a small group of people in the Bittern Hide.

The sky was mostly overcast but in a rare burst of sunlight it was clear to see that the Reserve had put on all her finery for the evening show

And the clouds were creating a colourful backdrop

The starlings began to arrive in small groups, converging around an electricity pylon on the boundary of the reserve.

From small beginnings the group continued to grow, until suddenly the sky was full of birds

Anybody counting? By now we were being treated to a full-blown murmuration with smaller groups breaking away to do their own thing, and it was difficult to keep pace with events. For the most part I put my camera down and just enjoyed the spectacle. But one group overflew the back of the Mere...

...and the Lapwings decided to join in! Great sight.

All good things must come to an end, and all too soon the murmuration was over as the birds suddenly plunged into the reedbed to roost.

This was the first time I had seen a murmuration live, and I have to say it was an unforgettable experience. No amount of viewing these spectacles in the media can ever beat the real thing IMHO.

Thanks for looking

Ian

• Great set of shots Ian, I agree that there is nothing quite like seeing a Starling Murmuration in real time live,  I was lucky enough to watch a few murmurations 4 years ago locally where the starlings landed just metres from where I was standing and the sound was truly amazing;  even in the dusk I could see them settle, some taking off and landing again and other's moving to different reed stems shuffling position  lol     Here's the link if you want to see it  

https://youtu.be/OXB9t6ZCHz4  

Those autumnal colours are stunning on the first pic

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel. That's a cracking video, and as you say I particularly like the settling into the reedbed! It brings home how almost impossible it is to convey the experience with still pictures.