Curlews

Not sure how to navigate the RSPB site as I am a newcomer but wanted to let someone know I spotted a pair of Curlews in the field behind our house this morning. I had to look them up on the internet to identify them but I am sure they are Curlews. They have the curved beak and the Pennines are listed as a breeding ground and we aren't too far away from them. We are also near the canal and the river. My location is WF6 2RZ. Only moved here last year but I am so glad we did. Sorry if I am in the wrong community but yours was the nearest to where I live I think. Used to work in Hemingfield so drove along the Dearne Valley Parkway every day for eight years. Must visit the reserves now! Pam
  • Hi Pam welcome to the Community. I live in Barnsley so Old Moor is my local reserve. If you have any interest in birds it is a wonderful place to visit. Also near to you is RSPB Fairburn Ings near Castleford which is also excellent.

As for navigating this Community is concerned dont worry its the stuff of legends! If you go to the Community Home page theres a very good Forum Map near the top of the page and you'll see posts from all parts of the forum.

Regards

Ian

• Hi Pam. As Ian says, Old Moor (my 'local') is s super reserve and sits in a chain of good places along the Dearne from Edderhorpe Flash, past Wombwell Ings and Old Moor out to Adwick and beyond - all with their different characteristics and wildlife. Curlews do occasionally drop in on the Dreane Valley reserves, as do the similar but smaller whimbrels - both welcome sights!