Black-tailed Skimmer

Hi Folks,

A friend and fellow photographer spotted one of these on site yesterday. She has put her image of it on Flickr in the Old Moor group. My question is, is this a regular dragonfly sighting at Old Moor? I don't remember seeing them here before but then, I don't remember where my car keys are either :)

• Hi Andrew,

They were certainly about last year at this time of year (early dragonfly season). More than any other beastie though, they had a habit of taking off just as your camera got into focus. Mainly saw them around the Family hide and the pond between there and the Visitor Centre.

• Hi Andrew just posted a pic of one from last year, remember me telling you about getting ants in my PANTS lol.

• Thank you very much chaps - I knew I could rely on better memories than mine!

When I got the enquiry, I searched through my photos and found nothing for black-tailed skimmer so assumed they must be relatively uncommon - after all, I take a lot of pictures!

Now perhaps I remember why - not 'uncommon', just 'uncommonly hard to photograph' :)