Give Nature a Home.....

I live on a housing estate in the Dearne Valley, not far from the RSPB Old Moor reserve. We try to make the garden bird/wildlife friendly and have a few trees, a small pond and quite a bit of cover. We put out food all year round and have quite a good variety of birds visiting. However, this last 2 weeks has see a few "firsts"!

Last weekend, we noticed movement in our large camellia bush behind the bird feeder - what at first sight we thought to be a squirrel turned out to be a fair-sized brown rat trying to get across to the seed feeder - which it eventually managed. It then fell out and tried Plan B which was to climb straight up the smooth feeder pole and then reach across to the basket containing fat balls. When it had got enough and dislodged some chunks, it slid down, 'fireman style' to the ground to mop up the loose food. A very impressive performance - I managed to get a photo through the double glazed patio doors before it took fright.

Yesterday, we had a visit from a pair of red-legged partridges who chased each other round the garden and confused the resident blackbirds no end! Again, a shot through the double glazing.

Just as we were leaving the house, I checked again to see if the partridges were still around and spotted movement in our garden pond (which is small, say 2m x 4m max). However, it turned out to be a pair of mallards - they appeared to be feeding on the masses of frog spawn. So, another quick photo through the double glazing!!!

Which all goes to show that even in unlikely locations, if the conditions are right, the wildlife will find its way there. :-)