image size

Has something been changed with image size? I'm having a lot of trouble uploading photos tonight
  • The site seems to have been a bit strange since the weekend - I had problems uploading. I thought it had settled down now...apparently not.

• Hmm. I know some community members had problems with posting images over the weekend Keith and Roland and I guess we do have to bear in mind that modern cameras can produce some whopping files (technical term there)! When I put pictures up, the last thing I do before posting is to reduce the image by 50% - unless it's already small from, er-hum, the occasional crop. I don't know if this might help but it couldn't hurt. After all, these files have to be stored, manipulated and turned into thumbnails by the site software.

• I suppose that the vast number of photos posted by our regular band of photographers in the Dearne is probably a bit untypical compared with other community sites so maybe, yes, the data storage size is an issue for us. It's a pity though to have to scale down the images and maybe lose some of the detail... but perhaps a small price to pay to get the site working smoothly.

• It is a pity that image size is an issue in this day and age of ever increasing server sizes. But at the end of the day I suppose this blog is about interest rather than picture quality. I like to see an interesting shot regardless of quality. So, I'm OK with reduced size - as Bridgeman says, a small price to pay for an interesting shot.

• Windows image resizer is a great little tool, it resizes the photo to a small file but the image seems 'large...'... if that makes sense!