Looking forward to visiting Old Moor in October

I will in October be visiting Old Moor with the Newcastle Upon Tyne RSPB Local Group in October and although the Local Group was formed in 1969, i believe this will be the first trip to Old Moor according to what the Group Leader told me. What birds can i expect to find at Old Moor in October. I know you now have breeding Bittern's there now, although i was very lucky in observing that rare and elusive bird's back in the 1970's at Leighton Moss. So i hope for some good weather on that occasion in October.

Regards,

Ian.

• Hi Thomo,

We're monitoring a bittern pair very closely at the moment as we think they may have bred on site and we're seeing them most days at the moment.

What date in October is it that your group are visiting Old Moor and how many of you do you think that there will be? I ask so that we can put you in the diary and make sure that there is extra food on in the cafe and extra staff here if neccesary.

Obviously the birds you can expect on site will depend on the date and the weather and we will have a better idea nearer the time, but you can check our sightings daily on our blog. Last October we saw ruff, redshank, dunlin, golden plover, little egret, whooper swan, green sandpiper, little stint, grey plover, black-tailed godwit, & snipe amongst our usual cast of gulls, waders and garden birds, although its difficult to forecast what we'll have this year.

Hope this helps and that you all enjoy your visit in October.

Karen

karen