New path

I just wondered if I was the only one that hates the new set up on the new path. When the bittern hide was there, you had a good chance of seeing the birds, water rail, bitterns from the hide. But now we have the narrow view of a channel from a screen that has holes cut in that you can't even get a lens through and will be lucky to spot anything, and you're cut off from the water all the way around...When the wind and rain blows through the winter anyone at the screen is going to get battered and very cold as it's open to the elements, I've spent many many hours sat in the hide down there in freezing howling wind and got some great shots..Now it's gone, and I wouldn't last five mins at the new screen with the wind and rain freezing me to death... The wind in the winter down there is very cold and when you were in the hide you had some protection as it had it's back to the wind, Also the new Kingfisher perches are too close, but that's dependent on what lens you want to photograph them with. They're too close for mine anyway....The other hide down there is OK and I like the new reeds and things. I'm not sure about the new spit as I think it will encourage the gulls down that end to breed and they will dive bomb anything in the area, including any Bittern that shows its face near the hide...Anyway that's my thoughts on it and I fully understand the thoughts and plans behind encouraging the Bitterns to breed there, but I'm sure we all would have done it different..Some will like it, but not me I'm afraid.
  • Hi Mel

I’m really sorry you don’t like the new set up in the reedbeds. As outlined in the blogs, we have done what we have done primarily for the development of the reedbed as a habitat but at the same time, tried to make things work as well as we can for visitors too.

The screen has a number of holes designed to give a number of viewing and camera options. There are two larger hide slats in the middle that are designed to accommodate larger lenses with an objective diameter or lens hood up to nine inches. If that is too small, then let us know but they were designed to fit up to a 500/600mm lens which is about as large as most people have.

The kingfisher perch we can work on. If it needs moving back slightly we can do that - again, it is all new and we are trying to meet the needs of all equipment and users.

The spit is actually designed to establish new reed and is mud and rhizome from Blacktoft. It will be reed before you know it and not a breeding island for gulls and the like. The water level is low at the moment (we had to pump it out to work in there). Once water levels rise back up it will be at the right height for the reed to establish and it will spread from there.

Hope that helps

Matthew

• Cheers Mathew, Thanks for the info I appreciate it...I suppose I just miss the old set up and the old hide.

• No probs - and don't worry, we appreciate very much that people get attached to their favourite spots and hides etc. It is what makes our visitors so passionate about the site which is great. And it keeps us on our toes too!

Cheers

Matthew

• The new set up is certainly different but I think it will bed in OK. Glimpses of the water along various channels - time will tell how successful this is for visitors - I'm sure it will be fine for the birds! I think the new hide planned on the bank overlooking the reeds and back of the mere will go a long way to opening up a new view of the reserve.

• Any news of when the new hide will be erected and the path by the pond-dipping station opened up?

• Hi Bridgeman

As with all these things, it hasn't proved to be as easy as first hoped. Still awaiting relevant permissions but hopeful that will be soon.

Will try and keep you all updated

Matthew