Becoming "birders"

My eldest son has been interested in wildlife since he was little, however,since putting up a few feeders in our garden and a visit to Bempton Cliffs to see the puffins, his passion for feathered friends has exploded. As a result we have spent a large portion of the Summer at Old Moor in pursuit of various species, he is able to identify many birds himself as a result of burying his head in various bird books; whilst I am trying out my new camera and learning lots about conservation. We would like to say thank you to all the staff at Old Moor who have taken the time to encourage my son and quenching his thirst for knowledge. In addition to this many of the experienced birders in the hides have not seen him as a nuisance, but, many have allowed him the opportunity to look through their telescopes to see birds really clearly and to talk to him about what he hopes to see. This sort of nurturing has only spurred him on further - we are thrilled to see him so intent. Thank you all so very much.
  • Elizabeth,welcome to the crazy world of birding but be careful it can become quite addictive but generally fairly harmless.You will find most birders are happy to encourage others by letting them look through their scopes and pointing out interesting birds.You do not say how old your son is but this interest may last a lifetime and does not have to cost the earth.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi Elizabeth - it's great to hear that your son is so interested in birds and wildlife and that you are taking him so often to Old Moor.  I hope you're enjoying that new camera.  Old Moor is the nearest RSPB reserve to me and I go there on a fairly regular basis and find it a great place to be.  As you say, the staff are really friendly as is everyone in the hides.  I've only been bird watching for a couple of years now and still have an awful lot to learn, but it really is addictive.  Have fun!

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Welcome to the Community, Elizabeth - I'm in Felixstowe.  If you and your son ever find yourselves in East Anglia I can really recommend a visit to Minsmere - Titchwell Marshes, Rainham Marshes, Strumpshaw Fen and Lakenheath are all lovely as well.  And those are just the RSPB reserves!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Welcome from me in Essex, glad that you and your son are getting to know about bird watching.

Feel free to post any photo's or ask any questions, there are plenty of members that will advise you how to upload etc.

J

• Good to hear that your son is keen, and that you are actively encouraging him!

The majority of birders will tend to be friendly and helpful - just ignore the few who aren't!

• I guess RoyW's comment includes me

:)

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Good to see you have returned to the madhouse s.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Hi Elizabeth, Glad to hear about your son's discovery of birding and wildlife and of course, your discovery of Old Moor, one of the best reserves! :-)

My interest, fueled by both my parents being from a farming background, started by watching birds in our garden...rather a long time ago now! However, it stuck and now, 50+ years later, I am keener than ever and very lucky to live only a stone's throw from OM.

As for the opposition (!), Frampton Marsh is worth a visit, as are Blacktoft, Fairburn Ings and Rutland Water.