A few from my recent visits to Oldmoor

Inspired by Nicola's blogs (I have yet to bump into you Nicola on my way round) I thought I'd post a few of my own favourite photos of Old Moor - it's a 35 mile trip for me to get there, but there is always so much to see and everyone is so friendly there!  So here goes!  First of all my own photo of the lapwings taking to the skies!

Mallards having a bit of a squabble!

I quite like the pinks and greys together in the next two

Dragonfly (common darter - I think!

The cormorants who seem to have taken to those rocks near the Family Hide!

And one from down memory lane - taken last November when Wath Ings had a few more birds on it than it does at present!  All the golden plovers in the afternoon sunshine.

See my Flickr photos here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115745582@N04/

• Thanks Bob - it really is a lovely reserve, but if it's quite a trek for you and you want to see the most birds, the lakes get really busy in the autumn when the migrants return.

• I recognise the dragonfly shot Christine, nice!

Yep that Lumix really does make a good job.

Hope to see you there again soon, "Keep keen n keep shooting"

C ;-)

• Thanks Cris.  It was nice to hear such positive comments about bridging cameras!

Since we were talking cameras, these are totally unrelated to Old Moor, but just a few photos to show what sort of pictures you can get out of the Lumix (not professional standard by a long chalk but  not too bad)

Woodpecker taken through my double glazed lounge window!

And a couple of shots of the grebe I was telling you about!

I've been looking through your Flicker photos - some amazing shots!  And I love all the colour effects etc you can get - I've got an awful lot to learn!

Anyway, I'm away on my holidays for a week later today, but will no doubt be back at Old Moor very soon thereafter!

Keep up the good work :-)

• They are lovely!

I have found that there is some great advice and tutorials on Youtube off a guy called Graham Houghton....theres loads..

www.youtube.com/watch

What I have found is that with a little knowledge on the camera you have and the one I propose to buy we can actually improve our shots immensely!

Its all about compensation for light and exposure and the way the cameras sensor is effected in recording shadows and highlights in the same scene and it is good advice. Even as a pro myself I will be heeding Grahams advice. Bridge shooting is totally different to DSLR shooting in many ways.

In his other videos he shows the improvement comparisons when he sets certain adjustments, a really good series...They are a MUST WATCH!

Did you see my toad shot I put up on Flickr last night and also on the RSPB Old Moor site?

He hopped in my conservatory last night! Reall funny.

Where u going, anywhere nice? Taking the camera?

Great speaking!

Regards Cris

• I did watch one of the Graham Houghton tutorials when I first bought the camera - just the first very basic one.  It sounds like I MUST go back and watch more.  I've actually just signed up for a full day photography workshop at Clumber Park which sounds quite good - and I have been assured it is as much for bridging cameras as DSLRs.  I think this first workshop is mostly about aperture mode (which as yet doesn't mean a lot to me!! but I'm hoping to learn a lot, and if it's any good there are other days you can go on like a macro workshop and a nature photography walk.

Anyway, thanks a lot  for the moral support - it will be interesting to see the difference the lessons make.

• You have a great time!

Also I can give you some time if we meet at Old Moor one day.

Photography is for sharing!

• Brilliant photos. :-)

It sounds like the workshop at Clumber is similar to one I've done. It was with a company called Going Digital. It was fantastic. So hands on and informative. I learnt loads!

Keep sharing your photos, they are great!

• Trina - thanks for those lovely comments and great to hear you found the workshop so good - Going Digital is running my workshop so that sounds very promising.

Cris - really kind offer, thanks - might take you up on that!

Just stopping at my brother's in Lowestoft for a few days but they are not birdwatchers - but you never know - might be able to convert them!!

• Hey Christine,

I have ordered the Lumix FZ200, it should be here on the 17th so I will be playing with it then.

It will be a great back up camera to the Nikon DSLR system and it will always be in my bag. I will bring it especially on days when I just want a chill out and a casual walk around.

Although the FZ200 has a few minor areas of weakness (low light, the use of iso over 400 and images blown up to over A3) they do not relate to or bother me in line with the type of photography we use this type of camera for. In fact for what we use them for this is a superb camera, just like yours and I can't wait to use it. It will replace my Nikon P7100 bridge which served me very well. Its benefits and features certainly outweigh any minor quarms.

Interesting, I have been talking to an Australian blog friend who uses a red dot sight to improve fast speed and movement photography. Once I have settled with the camera I will be looking into it.

Speak soon!

• Lovely pictures.  Some great action.