Great haul at RSPB Old Moor

Visited this site yesterday. Part of reed beds closed off due to breeding Bitterns; so first off got a first (fleeting) spot of a Bittern. On the other section of the site, got the following:

Little Gull

Obviously the Black Headed gulls were less happy to see him than I was!

Then spotted this Mediterranean Gull mating and busily sorting out nesting material:

Pintail: male of a pair which spent most of the time hiding behind a mud-spit:

Also spotted Hobby (reported that one took a Swift just outside the centre buildings) barn Owl and Peregreine.

All in all a great days birding: I'll be back!

Regards

Ken

It's amazing what you see if you open your eyes.

• Very nice, Ken. I wonder why the BH Gull was mobbing the Little Gull? Mind you they are stroppy so and so's. I've seen them mobbing Tufted Ducks for no apparent reason.

I notice the Med Gull is wearing a yellow band as well as a BTO ring. Must be some sort of study going on.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Teejay

The Black Headeds were indeed stroppy individuals; many were bickering with each other. Three sarted a fight with a pair of Cananda Geese who were minding their own business. I put it down to breeding season when a lot of specied get tetchy and aggressive. Avocets are the worst for this as far as I've seen; they openly attack anything that comes within range of the nest.

The Med Gulls rings are interesting:regarding the yellow ring, the only thing I can find on the net refers to a certain Pete Findley in Kent who seems particulalry interested in them.

• Ken W said:
    The Med Gulls rings are interesting:regarding the yellow ring, the only thing I can find on the net refers to a certain Pete Findley in Kent who seems particulalry interested in them.

I assume you mean this http://medgull.free.fr/pages/codes.php and this http://medgull.free.fr/pages/coordinators.php

Might be worth sending sending Pete Findley an email with photo even if you can't read the lettering on the band.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Good idea; will do.

• Hi Ken

Glad you had a good time at Old Moor and thanks for pasting some feedback on the site.

Regarding the Med Gull, it was ringed as a youngster here at Old Moor. It was the first confirmed fledging (as far as we are aware) of Med Gull in Yorkshire and as such it was decided to colour ring the birds to monitor their movements.

So far, this bird has been noted at the following sites:

Left Old Moor Wetlands on 9/7/10.

Seaforth NR, Merseyside on 23/8/11, 5/9/11, 13/10/11.

Old Moor Wetlands from 3/5/12 to 4/7/12.

Seaforth NR on 14/1/12, 11/8/12, 13/1/13, 24/2/13

Old Moor Wetlands from 30/5/13.

Hopefully it will breed successfully this year.

Regards

Matthew

• Fantastic - a bird that commutes between Barnsley & Liverpool - I wonder if it gets there quicker than by using the M62 or Woodhead!!!