Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

A pond at last!

• In reply to Maisie:

Another lovely pair of photos....especially the second one.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to WendyBartter:

Forgot to add: we had our first Great Diving Beetle the other day. Sadly she seemed rather uncoordinated and we found her dead in the pond yesterday, but it was nice to see her here, even if the water boatmen didn't seem so impressed!

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• In reply to Maisie:

Let's hope you see more of them.  Did your raven ever return?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

Nope, sadly our raven was a one-off. I believe the diving beetles are carnivorous, which might explain why the boatmen were ramming it! There are plenty of friendlier smaller water beetles in the pond though.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• In reply to Maisie:

You're still one raven ahead of me.  Did you hear about the nesting ravens at Wellesley College earlier this year?  They used the fire escape staircase on one of the buildings there.

• In reply to Clare:

Just looked through his thread, what a great job you have done Masie, well done. It all looks wonderful.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• In reply to Catlady:

There are still dragonflies by the pond, possibly even new hatches as there are lots of the larva casings on the plant leaves. I'm spending my lunchtimes down there in the sun at the moment, enjoying the birdsong.