Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Tree I.D

Hi -Iast year we had a tree start to grow behind some shrubs we planted in the front garden. Rather than dig it out we let it grow and kept it cut back as it grew very quickly. With all the rain this year, unfortunately, we have had to remove many shrubs from the back garden. If someone could I.D this I thought of transferring it to the back as it has lovely sturdy branches ideal for the birds. I'm hesitant until I find out more due to roots etc, as it would be near the house/patio. I've had a look on a few websites but can't match it exactly - any ideas ?

Best wishes , Jayne

See my Flickr photos here.

• I'm no expert on trees, Jayne, but the photo of the bark reminds me of Willow. Is that possible? They are very fast growing and love wet conditions. What did the leaf look like?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks Teejay - can't remember what the leaf looked like. I did wonder if it was goat willow, as that was the nearest match. Can't remember seeing catkins on it though. I might transfer it to a  big pot and see how it goes!

Many thanks,Jayne

See my Flickr photos here.

• If it is one of the willow species then don't plant it near the house because they are notorious for damaging foundations etc. Planting in a pot until you know what it is sounds like a good plan.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi Jayne, I think TJ is right, it looks a bit like willow. The whippy branches look willow-ish. The cows in the field behind my garden love willow leaves. They contain something like aspirin, so I suppose they find it soothing! You could try bending the stems and see how far they bend before they break. Willow is very flexible. But I am no expert either, so others may have a better idea.

bye for now

• Hi Jayne,

Not an expert on trees but I also reckon it's a Willow and first choice would usually be a Pussy Willow, however this has hairy buds so I have to rule it out. To me the bud positioning and colour looks similar to a Crack Willow although there are several hybrid versions with the White Willow, which makes exact identification difficult for us novices!

A crack Willow is named such as the stems break (crack) easily at branch points. Try snapping off a stem, if it snaps at a branch point then it's likely to be a Crack Willow or Hybrid of one....

Let us know how you get on?

Best

Higgy

• Its pussy willow.You know spring`s coming when they they get hairy.

Nice little blog for tree recognition -  http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/bark-buds-common-european-deciduous-trees-winter-identification/

The ideal alternative to buying flowers for living room (says tight-fisted Yorkshireman) once they`re hairy-Last forever! lol.