Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Best for bees

What are the very best plants for bees in YOUR garden? (And I mean ALL bees, not just Honeybees and bumblebees)

Check out my blog today (http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/homesforwildlife/b/gardeningforwildlife/archive/2012/06/29/a-bee-c-of-gardening.aspx), where I reveal my top five.

My Homes for Wildlife enewsletter that should reach many of you today is on the same subject - see, I've gone 'all joined up thinking' ;-)

Look forward to hearing your recommendations

Adrian

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

• This is a subject close to my heart because I am shortly moving house and want to make the garden 'insect-friendly', particularly focusing on bees and butterflies. I watched the TV programme earlier this year that encouraged people to plant for insects and was inspired!

In the past I have found that bees enjoy lavender, hebe, cotoneaster and ivy. I learnt from the TV series that single dahlias are popular too.

Your blog is very interesting and I will refer back to it when I have moved, which should be happening in about three weeks. A bit late for doing anything this year, I know, but I can plan!

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Bees in my garden go mad for the buddleia and lavender.

• Hardy Geranium in my garden are always bustling with bees. Hebe , Buddleia and Cotoneaster , already mentioned , are superb for bees.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.

• The ceonothus in our garden has been alive with bees for a good few weeks now as has our erysimum. If a bee-eater visited, it would be spoilt for choice!!

• Yes, Rach, I struggle to find a bad single dahlia for bees. The Bishop series and the Happy series are both brilliant - and easy to grow, whether in borders or big pots.

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

• Ah, yes, the buddleias. Buddleia globosa, the golden ball buddleia, is in flower down here at the moment, and is great for bumbles and Honeybees.

• We had foxgloves flowering for the first time this year and the bumblebees couldn't get enough of them.

:-)

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• Vipers bugloss, buddlia, lupins and a wee bargain weeping cotoneaster tree I got for a tenner are frequented by bees.

• Hi Adrian

Here's my top ten.....

You can't beat Verbinas in my view. The two best varieties are Verbena bonariensis & Verbena Hastata (pictured).....

Achellea.....Provide a good landing platform for butterflies & bees and lots of tiny flowers rich in nectar....

Rudbekia Goldsturm is a great flower for late summer nectar (sorry look a bit tatty in this picture).....

Astrantia is a brilliant and extremely under rated insect plant, I have just found out this weekend that Meadow Browns love them!....

Sedum, again great for late summer bees & insects...

Corn Marigolds are one of the best insect attracting annual wild flowers in my opinion and I grow about 50+ plugs from seed every year and then plant then in my wild flower lawn but I also always put a few in the borders to attract the bees.... quite a few beetles seem to like these also!.....

Buddleja (Butterfly Bush) Does what it says on the tin!....

Let a few 'weeds' grow in your garden also, some are really pretty like this Meadow Thistle and most attract lots of bees and butterflies!.....

Daisy varieties attract lots of interest and I've found Ox-eye Daisy to be good this year....

Finally if you have Clover in your lawn let it grow, this is a good source of early nectar for bees particularly in Spring when not much else is open.... 

Hope this is helpful to a few.

Higgy

• A border of Nepeta "Six Hills Giant" is another good bee attractor, but agree that Verbena Bonariensis is one of the best.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake