Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Re: Lawns for wildlife

Unknown said:

Has the Yellow Rattle grown, MarJus? 

As usual I was impatient to get going with the pack, but the instructions were to sow in autumn as the yellow rattle apparently needs a cold spell for germination. I could have tried a few days in the freezer but thought better to let nature work it's magic!! So hopefully by next spring I'll see some signs! :-)

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Partly my fault I was trying to split and then merge threads... need a lie down now. I always leave a 30 cm wide patch along my lawn uncut. I get cowslip, clover and coltsfoot growing there most years.

• That's a superb variety for a relatively narrow strip!

Do you get the 4 days off this weekend?

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• Hi everyone ,I have a theory about grass and its all in here

www.rspb.org.uk/.../499382.aspx

If you have seen it before I apologise, but if you have not ,its food for thought

Regards Mick

Work is for those people that don't Bird-watch!!!!  

• Hi Oxeyedaisy

Great to see the photos - and to hear of success achieved through trial, error and determination! Yellow rattle is semi-parasitic on grass and sucks some of the energy out of it, which is why it is so recommended. Have you ever got it to germinate?

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

• Nice one, Mick. There's more than a grain of truth in that. Human beings, eh? So intelligent and yet.... ;-)

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw

• Hi Rose Marsh. Too right that we need to get the message through to town and parish councils about not feeling that they have to mow and strim every inch of grass. Even if they don't 'get it' from a wildlife point of view, maybe they'd be tempted by saving some money! There are some great councils out there who are already realising this, which is encouraging, but plenty that aren't.

• Hi All,

Not been on for a while as been a little bit busy in the garden and sorting out my wild flower lawn!! LOL :-)

Last year I just let it grow and planted a few wild flower plugs grown from seed and it looked like this....

It didn't look too bad but was somewhat 'artificial' with plugged plants in amongst the rough Rye grass, so.....

I decided to do it properly this year and completely scalped it last Autumn......

Here it is in the process of being de-turfed....

I then sowed it with perennial wild flower seeds from flowers which are native to Somerset in the Autumn and again this Spring! As the perennials will take a year or so to establish I also grew lots of annuals such as Corn Marigolds, Corn Cockle etc etc from seeds to plant out as plugs for colour this summer (if we get one!!).....

I grew approx 100 plugs of annual wild flowers....

Plugs planted out & a big blister on my hand later....

At the beginning of June it looked like this.....

Unfortunately I don't have an up to date picture as it looks much better four weeks later already!

I have basically split my lawn in two with this wild flower area and a more formal lawn area with perennial borders etc. The two areas are separated by a dry river bed and a bridge which I built out of old rockery rocks and a concrete drainage pipe I found under the hedge!! I keep this area a bit messy with rough grass & wild flowers but mixed with ornamental grasses and irises etc to give a natural transition between the two areas....

That's my wild flower lawn!!

I do record & photograph all butterflies & insects etc that I find here but it's lots so I won't bore you for any longer unless your interested to know how successful this has been???....but I warn you it might just make you want one yourself!!!! LOL :-)

Cheers

Higgy

• Hi Higgy ,nice to see you are still about and working the gardens ,it looks grand, I like the wild flower patch, I also bet that daughter of yours could hide in there, Gill has some fantastic wild foxglove seeds if you need any, PM me if you do,and will post some off later in the year.

Edit   (or anyone else if they want some)

Regards Mick

Work is for those people that don't Bird-watch!!!!  

• I wish we could do this 'natural garden' here, but a neighbour who left his garden, 'oh naturel', had so many complaints, the council insisted he sorted it out. Too many 'curtain peepers' round here me thinks.

Take care all, Stich.

My gallery Here  Flickr Here    

• Higgy, that is coming on brilliantly.  I have my eye on some stunningly beautiful poppies that  are growing wild around some areas I go - will harvest a little of the seed later on.

Caroline in Jersey

Cin J