Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

How to...plant an alpine container for bees and bugs

You may or may not have seen the wildlife enquiries blog from last week about gardening in drought conditions. I suggested opting for species that were not quite as thirsty as traditional bedding plants. Well, at the weekend I decided to put this into practice in my haphazard approach to gardening and take some snaps along the way to show you what I mean. So here goes.

You need a bag of (peat free) compost, some grit, some larger bits of rock or rubble, a selection of wildlife friendly alpine plants, a large pot with drainage holes and maybe a trowel if you don't want to get mud under your fingernails!

Next up is to mix the grit with the compost, i went for a 50/50 split. Before you pop the substrate into the pot place the larger rocks in the bottom of the pot.

Next up is the planting, I picked a selection that will hopefully flower through the spring and summer giving a varity of colour and some nice foliage, the arabis and saxifrage were already in flower. The others were a scabious, two varities of sedum and another saxifrage (will add the full names if I get round to it!).

The last couple of things were to water them in, finish the gaps with a bit of grit and then place it in a sunny spot near to the strawberries to hopefully attract in a few more bees to help with pollination. We'll see how it goes!

Warden Intern at Otmoor.