Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Trees for my garden

Hi

Thinking about putting a couple of small trees in the gatden maimly for the birds. The ones I have in mind ar Sorbus Joshep Rock and a crab Apple if I can find a good upright variety. What do think am I on the right track?  Any advice appreciated

• Hi Andre,

I'm no arborist but I can tell you I had a few bird-friendly trees planted and by far my most successful was my Mountain ash (Rowan) tree - the berries on them were gobbled up and stripped bare, mainly by Blackbirds. Also I planted a silver birch and Hawthorn which are also supposed to be good. I know Crab Apple also attract birds.

• Hi Andre - I'm not an expert gardener but you could try cotoneaster, they come in tree form and shrub. We planted one a yr ago - they produce berries and don't grow too big (approx 10 x 10ft).I,ve thought about apple trees but you have to be careful as some grow very big. This  summer I'm going to get a few dwarf patio fruit trees - you can get plum, apple, pear etc which can be kept in large pots and grow to a few feet. Hope this was of some help.

Jayne

See my Flickr photos here.

• The blackbirds love the amelanchier berries too - they don't last long.

• Sorbus Joshep Rock has yellow berries I think you might find the birds will leave these till last as they seem to eat red berries first. There are many Crab Apples that are grafted onto dwarf rooting stock so shop around your local garden centre or if you are lucky a nursery with a good selection for you.

http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Malus_'Admiration'_(Crab_Apple_Tree).htm

A very old Shropshire Lad.

• Thanks folks. Welsh lass I do hvae a Cotoneaster treee as you say very good with berries the blackbirds and thrushes love them. Umm yes Chriss Josehp Rock is yellow maybe need a rethink Ta. Amelanchier caused me problems lovely tree just too big had to take mine out.

Thanks for all the suggestions

• There are lots of wonderful bird friendly trees.

Crab Apples are loved in our garden by all sorts of birds. Rowan are brilliant but the red berried wilder more native species are the most popular, there is a dwarf rowan, sorbus aucuparia which has the same berries + flowers as the native. Birch are wonderful for the wee birds + you can get tall slender varieties. Hazel are quite wee + the birds really enjoy them. There are always the others such as Holly that can be trimed to size. Hawthorn that doesn't get too big, Guelder Rose (viburnum opulus).

Then once they are established there are wonderful, honeysuckle, dog rose, ivy to grow through the trees you choose.

Lots of fruit trees can be found on a dwarf root stock - for some more unusual ones I've been to Brogdale in Kent they have a fantastic variety + folk that will help you find the best for your location.

Exciting times for you. But be quick times running out to plant trees in the bare roots.

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• I'm not an expert gardener, so I also thank everyone for the tips!!  (cheeky) We have a Pyracantha (a shrub, I know) which has attractive small white flowers followed by lots of red-orange berries, which the blackbirds and redwings enjoyed during the cold snap.  It's got fearsome thorns and grows like mad, but if you can keep it under control the birds do appreciate it!  Your garden will be a paradise.  Good luck!

Best Wishes,  Rosy

• Dear Jayne,

hi I've just joined and posted help for choosing a crab apple. I read that you were wanting to get small fruit trees this February. Did you get a crab apple by any chance and if so would you recommend it?

Thnaks, Jem