Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Moorland Garden

We have recently moved to a lovely house situated in beautiful moorland in Sutherland. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this an even better wildlife sanctuary? The weather is extremely changeable due to the mountains and sea and at the moment it is a mixture of ponds, heather and reeds with a few shrubs and young trees planted. We are exposed to the elements, especially the wind and we would like some advice please  

• Hi Graham - sorry can't give you much advice but know Sutherland a little and think you're very lucky to be in such a remote and amazing place! From the little bit I know of wildlife gardening (and a friend who lives in Orkney), I would suggest you have a close look at what survives well in the area already in terms of native species and use this as a basis? I would think that wind may be your greatest problem so you may need some windbreak species to help other things along.

I'm sure you will soon find lots of helpful and knowledgeable people on the forums to help you on your way - good luck!

Make the boy interested in natural history if you can; it is better than games [Robert Falcon Scott]

• I would just like to add to Cartimandua's post that the same advice applies to more or less any garden. It always pay's to look around the locale to see what grows best and use that as a starting guide.

For more information, visit the following page on the RSPB website site at:
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/wildlife-friendly_garden.asp

Is yours a Home for Wildlife?
    Make your home and garden a better place for you and the wildlife that visits it. Click here and sign up today  http://www.rspb.org.uk/hfw/

• I'm now feeling quite chuffed as I think  this my first post someone has marked as an answer :-D

Do let us kno how you get on, Graham - perhaps you could post some photos for us?

Make the boy interested in natural history if you can; it is better than games [Robert Falcon Scott]

• Hi Graham

If you go to Blogs and under Wildlife there's a blog for wildlife gardens, might be helpful also or someone to help you with your queries

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
    Spike Milligan

• Hi Graham, 

I would stick to planting native and preferably locally grown species like yellow flag iris, reeds and other water marginal plants.  Willows, birch and alder should be fine too. Look at what grows well locally and make sure you source native species. It is also important (especially when you live in Sutherland) to source plants and trees from a source that will have hardy stock - often plants are hothoused in Holland and Italy and do not survive their first winter in Scotland. You can find all sorts of reeds and marginal plants on www.treesbypost.com - only sell native species.   

Try and plant some Hawthorn - they should be fine growing up there, the birds love the berries.

• Great post LM - having just acknowledged this as another 'right answer' to this interesting thread, those of you involved may also want to check my blog on the Homes for Wildlife blog section. In there I talk about getting native bare rooted plants of local provenance, etc.

Is yours a Home for Wildlife?
    Make your home and garden a better place for you and the wildlife that visits it. Click here and sign up today  http://www.rspb.org.uk/hfw/

• Wow! What an amazing place to have to create a garden. Challenging might be another word for it, but it sounds like you're one to relish a challenge! There are some wonderful plants native to northern Scotland which you might like to try which would be an interesting exercise in getting to know the flora of your local area intimately, and that includes especially the Vaccinium genus such as Cowberry and Northern Bilberry, and also Crowberry. All have got flowers, foliage and berries that various local insects, birds etc will be adapted to seeking and eating.

If you want to drop by my RSPB wildlife gardening blog, it is updated every Friday, and I'd love to see you there - www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/hfw