Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Care of Buddleia Bushes

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hi there

We have a few small purple flowering Buddleia bushes in our garden at the moment.  They produced a lot of flowers last year and many butterflies paid a visit for the flowers as they do.

I think some of them have self seeded on their own so they have grown in odd ball areas of the garden - like between the cracks in the paving stones and the rock garden.

Dave and I had a debate about removing them, and replanting them in a more appropriate are of the garden rather than killing them off.

Question 1 - are they easy to re-establish once we have gently remove them so we can replant them elsewhere which is more suitable.  Is this the best time to do it?

Question 2 - Is this the best time to cut them back down so they produce more vigorious growth this year.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 13/03/2011 05:16 in reply to Kezsmum

hi Kezsmun

Thank you for your link and I will write down notes and take action this week while Dave is at work.

I like the idea of pinching the growing tips too to thicken the bushes,  I think the Buddleia bushes have had a chance to grow over a full year already as the house was empty for a while so the garden got a little wild and out of control.

Chris: Thank you for your thoughts what to do and I know now the secateurs have to be used to tidy up the bushes first and foremost to the ground now

Aftermath photos will appear here too.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Some useful tips here I need to remember for when my mini-buddleia arrive (which should be soon yay!).  I have quick question that I'll pop in here though (hope you don't mind blackbird!) - do birds eat buddleia seeds?

I would give it a try at moving them, it's always worth a shot and you never know you might be successful.  Besides, nothing to lose!

• KatTai said:
    do birds eat buddleia seeds?

I'm pretty sure they don't, but I coud be wrong,  I've never seen it though - however, tits will poke about looking for insects, aphids mainly, which is a GOOD THING:-))

• HI,  I have a totally different problem.  Can anyone advise if I should dispose of a Photinia that due to wind, snow ice  etc is now at a very strange angle and the roots are very loose in the ground.  Thank you.