Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Spotted Laurel

We have one of these in the garden, it's only small (one of the survivors of the ivy ocean garden) but has really started to grow.  Just wondering if it is good for wildlife or if anyone knows anything about them as there doesn't seem to be much about them online other than the basics.

• I have a small growth of spotted laurel about 3 feet in front of my bird feeding stations.  I find that the smaller birds, sparrows and tits, will often hustle in there when something bigger comes along.  Or they will sit there and wait for the squirrel to leave.  It provides a nice barrier where it is, and it pleases me that the small birds find it useful.  If it wasn't so close to the feeders, I don't know that it would be used though.

Enjoy every today for what it is, you never know if you'll wake up tomorrow!

• Hi

We have a plain laurel - its great for the small birds and even had a dim collared dove nest in it once - she didnt last long - Pussycat Willum got her !! But its a good cover plant even though cats can easily climb the branches

Nick

Thank you

Nick

Growing old is inevitable - Growing up is optional !

My Photos  http://www.flickr.com/photos/clan_ranald/

• Hmmmm I think I will give the laurel a reprieve and allow it to stay for the time being lol  it isn't in the way or taking over and because it is in a conifer moving it won't give much more space.

• Just my own observation, but my neighbours have planted a hedge of laurel a couple of years ago which is in flower and berry this year. This evening I found a dead adolescent female blackbird at the foot of the hedge with dark purple berry residue in it's mouth and nearby on the ground. I hadn't realised myself about many laurels being toxic until I checked online. Maybe the dry conditions on the ground lead to the adolescent bird making the wrong decision, but I would look for an alternative shrub myself.