Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Pond area 4 years on

During the recent spell of sunny weather ... and before the fog arrived !    I took a few pics of the pond, waterfall, bog garden, reed bed area almost 4 years on from the construction ....   amazing how things grow and the transformation.  The reed bed grasses grew so wide I had to lollipop trim them a week ago  !

Before and after photos ............

then a year or so later  .....

and a few days ago ...........

the autumn colours have been stunning this year

looking down on the top of the waterfall,   sry about the shadow  lol 

One thing I can say is that no matter if you only have the area for a small water feature or sizeable  garden to create a larger pond,  adding any water feature will certainly bring in the birds and wildlife.      We've had Redwings, Goldcrest, song Thrushes, Willow Warbler and even a Kingfisher visiting this water area for bathing/drinking as well as the regular daily garden visitors who love the water and also the rocks, nooks and crannies for hunting out those spiders and insects.     

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Hazel,  weather has now changed more like winter so as you say, a lot of jobs will now have to wait until spring.    Glad to hear you are thinking of creating a pond, I don't think it matters if it is the size of a bucket or size of a lake,  any water feature will attract birds and wildlife - even a wooden water barrel with plastic liner in the corner of our stumpery attracts a frog and some birds !      Still raining outside :(  so no gardening today.    

Regards, Hazel 

• Martin, you have done well with the transformation of your paved yard & really looking forward to further updates & pics next Spring!

HinNH, this pond building is so infectious, I was planning a slightly bigger one for my garden even before the mini pond was finished ... good to have a project eh?

Your 'lake' is just fabulous aitch, will come to visit one day to admire (have to wait for my skin-tone to revert or you'll think the Martians have landed!! Lol)

I have the challenge now of keeping Steve & Max alive during the cold weather to come, reading loads of articles as have never had Goldfish outside before ... Still no Frogs found me yet!!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:
    will come to visit one day to admire

kettle's on Wendy   lol        thought it was only men that were supposed to come from Mars  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Fallacy aitch, how else would you get baby Martians?? Rofl

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Fallacy aitch, how else would you get baby Martians?? Rofl

lol Wendy,   never thunk of that being baby Martianless !

Regards, Hazel 

• Cheers for the nice comments all. Hazel The lights look amazing they really compliment the pond and I bet they cast some great shadows on the foliage. I have definitely given it some thought I have actually left runnels in some of the pointing just in case or when budget will allow an outside plug but unfortunately electrics is out of my remit

. I would love to keep bees noisette but I don't think my garden is big enough and it's right in the middle of a busy town, although saying that somebody must, as in the height of summer there were plenty crawling over the beds in particular the rozanna which flowered all summer long and there's still some hanging on I would definitely recommend this plant for attracting bees and hover flies.

• They have bee-hives on the tops of appartment blocks in the centre of Paris & produce their own honey with a unique post-code!! I've seen about it on the TV.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• They have bee-hives on the tops of appartment blocks in the centre of Paris & produce their own honey with a unique post-code!! I've seen about it on the TV.

I've heard that too Noisette, pretty sure there was a programme shown here in London with hives up on top of buildings too.  

Lot to learn

• They seem to thrive too because there is no large scale agriculture in cities, so the nasty pesticides aren't used much.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Ha your a persistent pair. I had thought about it but written the idea off. The seed has been sown now. Not sure I have the time or could cope with the tragedy of there fleeting life, or if they were to swarm elsewhere but I will be googling it maybe I could get a breed that were genetically predisposed to keeping the neighbours cat out