Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Unknown said:

The plants look fabulous Paul giving plenty of colour in the garden .... I can see the bees lining up already  lol

btw,  I'm not 100% sure but your blue plant may be an Ajuga (possibly Jungle Beauty looking at the deep blue colour) if that rings any bells (or Bugles !!  ... as it is sometimes called)

Hi Hazel, it is an Ajuga, the variety being 'Black Scallop'

• What lovely colour Paul, I loved the beautiful shade of the lilies in the first picture.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I've added two Cypress trees to the area with the Lupins. Not sure how the whole setup will look in the end. I'm considering removing some of the flagstones in that part of the patio and creating an additional section of garden, maybe incorporating different levels and using the sections of breezeblock shown in the photo. Not sure though. I bought the other plant partly for the wonderful look and partly for the name...

• lovely plant additions Paul with the Cypress trees adding nice backdrop, what a colourful garden you have :)

Regards, Hazel 

• Wonderfully colourful MC or is it CC now...lol

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:

Wonderfully colourful MC or is it CC now...lol

Tee hee! I was actually referring to 'Deep Purple'...

• Having checked the Lupins, it was clear that they would need to be re-potted or planted before long. With that in mind, I decided to remove half a dozen or so of the flagstones and to create a proper flowerbed. As ever, the Site Foreman appeared and kept an eye on things...

Work is underway and GR comes across to see that all is well

Someone clearly has a sponsorship deal! Other topsoils are available...

That looks ok

It should be noted that there were several rain delays as well as the brief appearance of a Kestrel

I placed the flagstones at the rear to form a solid back to the newly created flowerbed. I eventually used seven bags of topsoil

Here's how it fits in with the rest of the garden/patio area

• Great work Paul, lovely colour and nice additional flower bed and the edging works well.

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Hazel. There's just enough room between some of the house bricks and the edging roll for me to add some small bedding plants such as Pansies etc. I have some growing in a separate tub and I'll transfer them when they are a tad bigger. I also have to hide them from the Spadgers who have already munched their way through the contents of one of the hanging baskets! It would be nice to extend the flower bed along the fence, but there would be no room for the storage units. The Lupins were not planned, just an impulse purchase, but it seems to have added a splash of colour and a hint of 'Victoriana' to the garden.