Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Creating A Garden (Sort Of) Update 26-05-17

I recently demolished my garage in order to extend the garden and within the last few days I have broken out the garage floor slab. The idea is to create flowerbeds around the perimeter and to lay turf adjacent to that. The broken out flooring was only a couple of inches thick and once I have broken it down even more I was intending to put a topsoil/compost mix on top to create the flowerbeds. I am assuming that the broken up flooring will assist with drainage and stop the soil from simply washing away when it rains? I have several bags of Homebase topsoil and was intending to mix them in with compost of some sort. Can anyone offer advice and tell me if this is a good idea? I intend to plant climbing roses and honeysuckle at the far end of the garden because I have installed trellis at high level. Going forward I will be planting runner beans and tomatoes on the more exposed wall and pyracantha and other Sparrow friendly plants elsewhere. I will post some photos when I get home, in order to give a better idea of the layout. Hope someone can offer some advice. Thanks.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Birds, Bees, Butterflies ... the greatest seal of approval!!

Proper little microclimate there MC, everything growing so well, it is a joy to behold!  Thanks for sharing & tell that GR not to be so rude!!!! Lol

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Hi MC, I've been following your project from the beginning and just want to say what a fantastic job you've done in your garden.

The change is amazing and just a lovely town garden for all wildlife.

Kind regards

Jenny

• Great to see your garden again MC, and how it is growing...it all looks so green and healthy, the plants strong and vigorous.   Very well done on a difficult job, and lovely to see GR enjoying it too.

Lot to learn

• Everything looks lovely Paul. It is amazing what a difference  a month or so makes, along with some rain and sun. Love the last snap with beautiful GR.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I cannot believe the garden has come together so quickly, MC! All your efforts have certainly paid off and you will enjoy sitting on your bench and watching the results, camera in hand. It's been so interesting watching the development so far. I know gardens always evolve and change as we live in them and have new ideas.

• Everything continues to grow rapidly and I have added some Lupins to the patio 'collection'.

The Asiatic Lilies are starting to bloom

Unlike those at Homebase, mine do not have six Robin nestlings in the pot!

This one's for Wendy Bartter. The Oak is looking good. No Oak Processional Moth caterpillars here thank you!

I've forgotten which plant this is, but I think it was one of the Alpine plants. I'll add the name tomorrow unless someone else gets it first

The newly acquired Lupins. Each plant has several more buds, so the final display should be impressive. Just so long as Dennis Moore doesn't put in an appearance!

• I think you have definitely got green fingers MC, my asiatic lillies haven't even one bud yet, and those lupins again are gorgeous.  

Lot to learn

• Thanks Gaynor. The Asiatic Lilies were just buds when I planted them and I really had no idea when they would bloom or if they would at all. I replanted the red one about a week ago when I planted the runner beans just behind them. It was just coming in to bloom at the time and hasn't suffered as a result of being relocated. They are in pure graded topsoil and are in a very sunny part of the garden (from about 11am onwards) and I water them daily. It seems to be working so far.

• The plants look fabulous Paul giving plenty of colour in the garden .... I can see the bees lining up already  lol

btw,  I'm not 100% sure but your blue plant may be an Ajuga (possibly Jungle Beauty looking at the deep blue colour) if that rings any bells (or Bugles !!  ... as it is sometimes called)

Regards, Hazel 

• Great update MC, tree looks good!!  Just spent ten delightful minutes laughing my socks off watching DM vid ... quite forgotten how maniacally funny it was!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr